Author Topic: Need help with a sound decoder  (Read 845 times)

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
Need help with a sound decoder
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
 I got around to installing a TSU750 in my Bachmann 2-10-2 today . It fits real well and is fairly easy to do . It will need a sound enclosure , but I think that won't be a problem.  The problem is ......All of the whistles sound like do do . mostly all I get is a hissing sound ( I tried all the options in CV 115 ) . Is this a defective decoder or is it because I need to enclose the speaker ?  None of them sounds remotely like a whistle .  The second problem ...... After setting the chuff rate , messing with the sound EQ , and getting fairly satisified with that area , the chuff rate took a big dump and got really wonky . Way less chuff in forward and a whole lot more in reverse . So I did a reset readjusted the settings. Then it happened AGAIN !  Reset again . Then 3rd problem ......Was running fine and the sound just cut out . Motor controls work fine but can't get any sound even with a reset.  Did the speaker blow ?
 I may not buy any more of these decoders  ( lot of people recommend the Loksound micro) but at 130.00 bucks I really need to make this one work . HELP !!!!!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Need help with a sound decoder
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 11:56:31 PM »
I don't know if you realize but we do have a DCC/Electronics section in this forum. This thread would be a perfect fit for that section.  ;)

A tight speaker enclosure dramatically increases quality of all the sounds, especially low frequency ones.  If chuffs and other sounds seem ok then I would say the speaker is ok (but it will really benefit from being enclosed).  :)

Maybe the whistle volume is too high and it is distorting?  Maybe the sound equalization is adjusted incorrectly?  Or like you said, there is something wrong with the decoder.  I'm not very familiar with that decoder but you can always make note of the values of all the CVs you modified yourself, then do a factory reset of the decoder, then see how things sound.
. . . 42 . . .

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 03:44:16 PM »
 I've posted in the DCC forum before . Sometimes I get no advice although the post gets read , just thought I might get more response here .  Unfortunately I am getting NO sound now , although the motor functions work fine . Going to build an enclosure and order another speaker and go from there.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:57:43 PM »
I've posted in the DCC forum before . Sometimes I get no advice although the post gets read

Did you ever think that this means that people who read your question might not have an answer?  Would you rather have those people just post "I don't know"?   :|  Doesn't seem that you fared much better in N/Z forum. Sometimes you need to be patient as some knowledgeable members don't visit the forum very often.

I doubt that you blew out the speaker and if you have one of the resistors normally used with LEDs (1k ohm), you could do a quick test.  Hook the resistor up in-series with the speaker then touch the remaining speaker and resistor leads across 9V battery terminals. You should hear weak crackling sounds as you move the wires around the battery terminal.
. . . 42 . . .