Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/24/15  (Read 8912 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Weekend Update 5/24/15
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
West Marin has changed little over the last hundred years, but the trains are just a memory. Some of the right-of-way is now trails.

By the way, the photos of the Lagunitas grocery/FR Train Shop are right out of my IPhone's- no Photoshop tomfoolery.

The model was made from photographs of the building laminated onto illustration board and cut with a sharp cacti.

Doug Nelson.

Doug,
Neat idea - you out Mann'ed Tom Mann by channeling Lance Mindheim. Any chance you could share those photos for others to use? And do you have an officially Licensed Chulvis figure sitting out front?

Philip
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 12:54:32 PM »
Doug,
Neat idea - you out Mann'ed Tom Mann by channeling Lance Mindheim. Any chance you could share those photos for others to use? And do you have an officially Licensed Chulvis figure sitting out front?

Philip

I would like them too.  Much better than the ones I found online.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 01:53:51 PM »

Another piece of Geoff Gooderham goodness... A Canadian Pacific "haywagon" open observation car as built for summer service on the Dominion. Used between Calgary and Vancouver in the high summer season this car was "the way" to see the mountains.

Geoff's resin kit is awesome; full interior including cane seats and thin walls. I'm just adding decals right now (she'll be number 599) and then I'll add the diaphragms, weathering and maybe passengers (I'm torn, it will take a lot of seated figures to make it look righr) and then finally marker lamps...

What an awesome and unique CPR car - thanks Geoff!
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 01:58:08 PM »
I was actually channeling master modeler Vic Roseman who published several articles on this technique.

I live just a few miles from Lagunitas, so photos were not a problem.

Here are the photos, rectified and edited in Photoshop - squared and removed extraneous stuff.  The east wall is actually completely covered with ivy, so I duplicated the west wall if someone wants a different orientation to view the Lucas Valley dairy sign.

Doug.

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 03:15:10 PM »
nice hayrack Mike!

sloooooowwwwwwww progress on a highly compressed representation of the Pope & Talbot sawmill outside of Castlegar.  Cutting corrugated metal siding and holes for various windows, doors and vents.  The cyclones still need bracing and are just leaning in place.

Have a great weekend!

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 06:56:50 PM »

The CP's Mountain observation cars have been well traveled, seeing use all over both Canada and the United States.  One of the first uses below the border was CP 597 on the Association of American Railroads' Gold Spike Centennial train where it crossed the U.S. in baby blue paint followed by use for several years on various High Iron Co. excursion trains.  After HICO 597 saw use during the the Olympics celebration on the Adirondack RR.  597 then saw use up in Cape Cod before traveling west once again, this time to the Sierra RR, where it was joined by 598 and 599 for a time.  More recently 598 has been acquired by West Coast Rwy. Association and for a time it was used on Rocky Mountain Railtours' Whistler Mountaineer.

The link below will take you to the listings for these truly fine cars at the Passenger Car Photo Index, where you will find links to various images available of these cars in use on most of the above mentioned lines...

http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/CP1.htm#CP597

Another beautiful model by Geoff!!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:44:29 PM by jmlaboda »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »
Mark Dance,

What are you using for corrugated siding and what's the brick material on the office?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Ntrainz1

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
    • blog
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »
Re-lettering a set of ConCor RDCs for the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines for my friend Rick (rickb773). one more to go.

Bob.

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 08:39:52 PM »
Mark Dance,

What are you using for corrugated siding and what's the brick material on the office?

• 0.03 and 0.04 pitch Evergreen metal siding for walls
  • .06 and 0.08 pitch Evergreen metal siding for roofs
    • Plastruct stone wall standing in for brick...it is what I had on hand :).  That dust consolidator room is at the back of the building and hard to see from the aisle

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 08:51:09 PM »
Pud, Thanks for posting the photo of the mountain observation car! Yours is officially more complete than mine...

This is a car I've been needing for years; it took me a loooong time to figure out how to do it in resin.

Slight correction on the history of the cars post CPR. The West Coast Railway Association bought all three of the cars when they were retired by the CPR, in the late 50's I think. They immediately sold two of the cars on (597 and 599) to pay for the one they retained (598). 598 has had a long and busy life with WCRA, as Jerry notes.

One thing I don't understand: These cars look a little funny to me because they lack the big fishbelly undersills. Assuming the coaches that these cars were rebuilt from originally had big undersills, how can they retain their structural integrity, particularly when a good portion of the sides have also been cut away?

Geoff

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »
Working on my S-2. Made a few changes:

Still working on the weathering.

To:

Thanks,
Wolf

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »

Another piece of Geoff Gooderham goodness... A Canadian Pacific "haywagon" open observation car as built for summer service on the Dominion. Used between Calgary and Vancouver in the high summer season this car was "the way" to see the mountains.

Geoff's resin kit is awesome; full interior including cane seats and thin walls. I'm just adding decals right now (she'll be number 599) and then I'll add the diaphragms, weathering and maybe passengers (I'm torn, it will take a lot of seated figures to make it look righr) and then finally marker lamps...

What an awesome and unique CPR car - thanks Geoff!

That's an amazing car. Would that be the same style as run on the Royal Hudson in the 70's/80's?

Craig

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »
Wolf, nice work. Did you strip the shell, or just manage to strip the stripes and lettering?
Otto K.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »
Wolf, nice work. Did you strip the shell, or just manage to strip the stripes and lettering?
Otto K.

Howdy Otto,

Thanks!!
I stripped just the stripes and lettering.

Thanks again,
Wolf

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 03:49:26 PM »
Got a break from the rain & clouds to take a couple of pics:

More here:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=36191.msg428451#msg428451

Cheers!
Ed