Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/24/15  (Read 8925 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 5/24/15
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »
Working on my S-2. Made a few changes:

Still working on the weathering.

You made it look easy wolf!

Even thought you striped the B&M decoration, I model B&M and I can't help noticing how thick the white lines around the red stripes are.  They look almost as thick as the red lines!   The white is supposed to be more like pin-striping around the red.  I know it was factory painted - looks like they didn't quite make them right.  That's too bad.
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »
Howdy Otto,

Thanks!!
I stripped just the stripes and lettering.

Thanks again,
Wolf

Wolf, did you use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, or?
I have a Santa Fe switcher project to do, see below, and have two undecs on order. But using the B&M scheme as in your approach would have been just as good and maybe easier... except I need vertical louvers rather than horizontal.
It seems moot now, since the first shipment appears to be gone, and I need to wait for either.
Regards, Otto K.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 10:55:34 PM »
Wolf, did you use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, or?
I have a Santa Fe switcher project to do, see below, and have two undecs on order. But using the B&M scheme as in your approach would have been just as good and maybe easier... except I need vertical louvers rather than horizontal.
It seems moot now, since the first shipment appears to be gone, and I need to wait for either.
Regards, Otto K.

Hey Otto,

I used Scale Coat's paint remover. Then I hit the hood with Floquil engine black. As the paint remover stripped the radiator louvers (It didn't touch touch the hood's paint- I didn't leave it in long enough). The factory stripes and letters came off as if they were decals. Had I known, I wouldn't have left the hood in for as long as I did. For the cab number  - I literally erased them.

Yeah, bummer they are gone. Is there any word as to when the next batch will be released-?
Looking forward to your ATSF S-2.

Best regards,
Wolf

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 08:45:31 AM »
GR & I 1980 the Grande Valley Railway's first Heritage unit.Road number comes from the year the GVR officially became a model railroad.I still have a few details to finish up but she got DCC the easy way (SD35 chassis is the same as the SD-9).I still need to figure out how I'm going to do ditch lights.

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »
***HO***
I started my newest project for my Swiss mountain railroad. This is the station of Visp which is located on the bottom of the valley.

Since the building is gone, I work mostly of pictures I found on the internet or what local people could provide.

The building will be cut out of Taskboard and basswood sheets. For the cut stone walls, I plan to use 3D printed plastic from Shapeways.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
Received this awesome little bridge kit from Monroe Models.  Decided to give it it's own module based in the Nebraska Sandhills. 

I think it turned out quite nice! 

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 02:32:44 PM »
Received this awesome little bridge kit from Monroe Models.  Decided to give it it's own module based in the Nebraska Sandhills. 

I think it turned out quite nice! 

BEAUTIFUL!!!
~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 02:55:21 PM »
BEAUTIFUL!!!

Yes. Stunning. It makes me feel like I've been on that bridge, somewhere in the Sand Hills next to Hwy 2.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »
We've had record rains lately so today was a good day to test out the roadbed on the Rio Grande Southern.  I had some settling in spots, but nothing bad...  Fortunately no wash-outs.

Ranger has taken an interest in herding the train...

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »
So, as per the norm for me, I am late to the show. I decided to try my hand at making some resin copies of one of my European trucks, given that I need at least 5 more for my Rollende Landstraße train. I pretty much fubar'd the mold in the process, and was only able to get one shot out of it, and it took a LOT of work to get it to be serviceable. But, I am ok with the results, and I plan on using it. I know what I did wrong with the mold, and I plan on making a new mold after I get done moving.
Sorry about the potato picture, taken with my phone, Master is in the background....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:20:33 PM by delamaize »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »
We've had record rains lately so today was a good day to test out the roadbed on the Rio Grande Southern.  I had some settling in spots, but nothing bad...  Fortunately no wash-outs.

Ranger has taken an interest in herding the train...

Garden railroading (if that's what you call it) is so cool. Great shot from the front. Very Stand by Me.

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 10:33:29 PM »
Built the PRR AR Tower from the N Scale Architect kit. It's a pretty nice model, but it takes a fair amount of work. It replaces a generic tower on my layout with a PRR prototype. Still to be added are details and an interior.

Doug Nelson.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2015, 12:13:39 AM »

As another Memorial Day draws to a close I guess that it is a bit fitting for me to make mention of something I have been very busy with over the past two weeks... a project that I first started back in 2011 and am finally at a place where I am comfortable with them.  Oddly enough I didn't intend to finish them this evening but because of a lull I had with other projects time was used to prepare this work for presentation.

As a veteran of both the Army and Navy I tend to be mindful of what at times befalls our military personnel, be it one or more being wounded or worse.  Every life, no matter how they may have served, is touched by every wounding and forever changed with every death.  Its a part of peace time, like what happened with the Marine helicopter crew who were lost while trying to provide supplies to outlying villages in Nepal, and at war, such as the many who have been lost in Afghanistan and Iraq.  Please bear in mind I am offering no political view and I hope that this will remain true with any replies, the rather I hope that it will help us to all be mindful of what it takes to be in the military.

It has taken many, many hours pouring through a wide variety of information that is available on the web, trying to find information on how might some of the railroad operations that were seen back during World War II be modeled, and the culmination of it is two new pages that I have posted to the N-scale Varnish website.  Below you will find two links... one for page one which involves the modeling of some Pullman sleepers that are available from Micro-Trains into troop sleepers that saw use hauling personnel all across America, while the second, which involves the modeling from the same models hospital ward and mortuary cars.  I hope that even if you are not one who is modeling the past that you will stop by and check things out... I believe that you will find what is presented to be of interest.  These two pages are the culmination of hundreds of hours of research and development and I do hope you will find all of it to be of value.

The image above is from the Jay Street Connecting RR website which presents a large amount of information on Mortuary cars and the handling of remains.  It is a worthwhile website to visit and I hope, as you have time, that you will stop by it and check it out.  Its url is below...

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/milrr/batbtww2repat.html

And, yes... as finances permit I intend to build a couple of these cars for myself.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:49:20 AM by jmlaboda »

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »

These two pages are the culmination of hundreds of hours of research and development and I do hope you will find all of it to be of value.

The image above is from the Jay Street Connecting RR website which presents a large amount of information on Mortuary cars and the handling of remains.  It is a worthwhile website to visit and I hope, as you have time, that you will stop by it and check it out.  Its url is below...

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/milrr/batbtww2repat.html

And, yes... as finances permit I intend to build a couple of these cars for myself.

Thank you ....  for the links and what you did !

eja
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:27:25 AM by eja »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 12:36:18 AM »
Engineshop:  Do you know what happened to the Visp station?  Torn down and replaced, or destroyed somehow?

N Kalanaga
Be well