Author Topic: Sketchup  (Read 4978 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5522
Sketchup
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:01:31 AM »
I'm sure someone here has used it. I just downloaded it (again) and I'm going to try again to learn it.

Is it possible or should I even try to start a drawing in CAD first then try to 3D it in sketchup? In CAD I can scan a scale drawing a literally trace right over it very easily. Or can I do that in sketchup too?

I'm certain more questions will follow  :lol:

Chris333

• Crew
Re: Sketchup
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:22:32 AM »
LOL  already imported a CAD file and worked with it. This might work.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
found this ..

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »
Once I tested it with another drawing I spent some time drawing another. And the new drawing imports into Sketchup , but I can't pull surfaces.  :|

gary60s

• Crew
  • Charter member of CAMRRA
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 09:41:18 PM »
Not exactly sure what you're trying to do Chris, but if you want to get a 3d view, use the push/pull tool on a completely enclosed surface. If it's not completely enclosed (as in Johns example) the push/pull tool won't work.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:51:59 PM by gary60s »
Gary

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 04:41:50 AM »
I use O-snap in CAD so all the parts are connected. Just now in autoCAD I drew a simple 4 sided box with another 4 sided box inside it. Once in sketchup I could not push/pull. I can't even select a face. Makes me wonder how I did it the first time.

I just thought if I spent an hour drawing with CAD that would save me the many many hours learning how to draw it in sketchup. CAD is like riding a bike for me one hand on the mouse, other on the enter key.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 04:53:28 AM »
In the video above at around the 1:26 mark he imports the JPG into sketchup and then he says "it doesn't matter what size it is".  My JPG is sized to exact N scale so for me size matters. That what is strange about sketchup to me it is like scribbling on a pad. If you want something an exact size to need to type numbers with each peice of line you draw.

Also I don't have all those tool bars. This is mine:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:04:08 AM by Chris333 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 05:10:47 AM »
Sketchup was created with the non-CAD-literate folks in mind.  IIRC, it was first introduced some any average Joe or Jane could take a photo of a building and make a 3D model of that building to help with Google Maps project.  So, to someone liek you it seems very non-intuitive.

As far as your problem goes, are you just drawing lines (vectors) or do your CAD drawings actually have surfaces?
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »
Just lines.

The tool bars shown in the video might make things easier, maybe.

It seems like I would need my CAD drawing so that when I start drawing in Sketchup and can measure each line of the CAD drawing to be able to enter line lengths into Sketchup. That is unless I had a full printed drawing with every N scale dimension listed on it.

I mean Sketchup is easy to use if I want objects that look like balloon animals.

gary60s

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 11:13:38 AM »
When I first started doing my "Sketch sets" I drew the plan drawings with autocad. I was never that proficient with autocad, and couldn't get them into a 3d view, so I downloaded Sketchup.

I always convert my dimensions to N scale before I draw them. This gives you a very small drawing, but is easily changed to a more viewable size with the "Zoom extents" tool.

If you start your drawings in sketchup you can do anything with them. I never had any success with importing drawings into sketchup.

I did a tutorial on basic sketchup procedures for doing "Sketch Sets" on another site if anyone is interested.

I didn't realize my sketches looked like "balloon animals".
Gary

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »

I didn't realize my sketches looked like "balloon animals".

LOL sorry I didn't mean that about you or anyone else using it.  I watched a step by step video where they show you how to build a 3D house. I can get a 3D house that doesn't look like a balloon animal, but I can't say this wall is 20 feet long, this roof has a 6-12 pitch, etc. I'm sure an accurate house can be built though.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »
I found that working in true N scale dimensions in Sketchup is problematic.  For example I had a cube where the top edges needed to be radiused.  When I did that I ended up with a really messed up surface (especially at the corners).  Some surfaces were overlapping others were missing (had holes).  Then I read that others had similar problems. SO I tried the same design in life-size 1:1 dimensions and everything worked as expected.  Then after I finished the design I scaled it down to 1:16o and all the drawing was still ok.  It seems like some operations do not work well on very small objects.  But that was few years ago - the current Sketchup version might be free of that problem.
. . . 42 . . .

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +142
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »

Also I don't have all those tool bars. This is mine:

Just go the the View tab and then toolbars.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

gary60s

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »
I found that working in true N scale dimensions in Sketchup is problematic.  For example I had a cube where the top edges needed to be radiused.  When I did that I ended up with a really messed up surface (especially at the corners).  Some surfaces were overlapping others were missing (had holes).  Then I read that others had similar problems. SO I tried the same design in life-size 1:1 dimensions and everything worked as expected.  Then after I finished the design I scaled it down to 1:16o and all the drawing was still ok.  It seems like some operations do not work well on very small objects.  But that was few years ago - the current Sketchup version might be free of that problem.

I had the same problem with radii, and came up with the same solution as you. I haven't radiused any corners lately, so I can't say if the current version has corrected the problem. Other than that, working in N scale dimensions has worked fine for me.
Gary

Palouse51

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
I have not used Sketchup in a very long time, but you guys have got me interested in trying it out again. Downloaded and installed on Linux using Wine last night. Going to play around with it a bit today.

The last time I tried to use a proper cad program I found it had a steep learning curve, but I recall Sketchup being a bit easier to master. With all the development happening in 3D printing I think something like this is going to be useful for me at some not too distant time. Might as well get started on some designs now while I'm waiting for the next bump up in the 3D print world.

Now, time to go have some fun. Thanks for getting me thinking about this again guys.