Author Topic: how to narrow bench work  (Read 1204 times)

h2w

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
how to narrow bench work
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »
the current bench work is in a " C" configuration i'm thinking of  connecting the 2 ends for continuous running.  2 of the sections are on shelf bracket along 2 walls the third section  extends 45" from  the wall. now the proposed section would be 68" long with a 24" lift out section  the width would be 4-6 inches pretty much one track and some scenery. how do I do this so the completed section is sturdy enough not to wobble etc.
thanks
 Mark.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
Re: how to narrow bench work
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 03:38:33 PM »
I am not clear on what amount of expansion you are asking about
the whole piece
or just the lift out section of it?

in any case, I would think that a few fundamentals would be helpful
1. for a frame use cut plywood (at least 3/8" thick, but 1/2" or more would be super)
2. make the plywood cuts wider than usual for horizontal support (6"?)
3. over build it in terms of bulk for strength
4. the more legs (firmed up by support connected to the rest of the layout) the better
5. metal hardware at joints would provide additional strength
and there are probably other things that are just not coming to mind right now
sincerely--
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 04:55:04 PM »
Politeness Man asks that the thread be relocated to its appropriate environment.

Please read the parameters of the discussions posted at the top of the Layout Engineering Reports.

If you would like to start a thread that's specifically about your layout, or just re-caption this post to make it so, I think that would suffice.  Otherwise, I'll pose the issue to the mods to determine where this chat should be re-directed.

Thank you.

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »
Agreed.  As noted in the sticky "The purpose of this forum is to give members an opportunity to post a running thread about the design, construction and operation of their layouts."  h2w, if you'd like to convert this topic into a layout chronicle, I'd be happy to re-title it for you.  Otherwise I will move it to another forum (probably the HO one since this is an HO pike, I believe, and benchwork is somewhat scale-specific).

Thanks.

h2w

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »
well sorry about not responding quicker, moving the post to the correct forum is a good idea, well yesterday I decided to go ahead and experiment with what I was talking about so far so good here are some pictures the inside aisle width is 24 inches which to some might be narrow but it works for my needs

h2w

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
he is the other pictures