Author Topic: Farmall Decals  (Read 7267 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Farmall Decals
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »
Alps is only 600 dpi but unlike the fuzzy dots printed by laser or ink jet printers, Alps thermal-ink-transfer printing produced very sharp dots.  It makes a difference while printing really small lettering.
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
Yeah, the small lettering is a bit too small to render (and too small to read on the model without some serious magnification).  :)  But the FARMALL and circled M might be doable.  I might make them a bit larger than the prototype for visibilty, but they should still have the right "flavor".

I need a size reference from your model.  Please provide the model's hood dimensions at the green arrows.  I know the top of the hood is curved - give me a best estimate so I can size the lettering to fit.

The "Farmall" dimension is 1mm, the model designation is 1.5mm.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »
Ok, I'll see how those look like using the provided dimensions. I might make them (the lettering) a hair bigger to be more legible.  At least now I know how much space I have available.
. . . 42 . . .

CoalPorter

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »
You  might want to look up what tractor restores use and get some full sized decals
to copy.

did Athearn put any writing on the N scale John Deere tractors...seams way to small to bother with,
but I don't want to be a show stopper ;) I know micro trains puts micro print on COTS etc and you
can read with a 10x loope.
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:01 PM »
There was an earlier pointer to the 1:1 decals. But with the size we are dealing with and the Alps printer resolution, I'm not looking for an exact replica - like you said, at that size something that is the approximate look will do.
. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 11:46:19 PM »
did Athearn put any writing on the N scale John Deere tractors...seams way to small to bother with,
but I don't want to be a show stopper ;) I know micro trains puts micro print on COTS etc and you
can read with a 10x loope.

Yes, all of Athearn's John Deere tractors (as well as Wiking's John Deere and Massey Ferguson tractors) have readable (some of it needs magnification) lettering.

Here is a link to a photo of the Athearn JD 7820.  http://nscalevehicles.org/vehicle_of_year/2006.php

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »
Attached is a PDF with a sample decal image. Could someone who has these tractors print it out (in 1:1 scale or original size or no scaling - whatever it is called in your Acrobat version) then cut out the images ans see how they fit on the model?  I made them slightly oversize. Let me know what you think.  Of course the decal will be made in proper colors - this is just a fit test.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 06:11:52 AM »
Those look spot on to me.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »
Those look spot on to me.

Excellent!

How many people want these?  Also, how many per set should I include? 5 pairs, 10 pairs?  I would say the cost will be about $6 per set (which will include postage within U.S.).
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »
Well I definitely want them. 5 or 10, doesn't really matter. Maybe 10 in case I want to do this again sometime?

Also, I'll need postage to the UK, the letter rate is somewhere around $1 I think.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 04:38:12 AM »
Sure, why not, I'll go in for a sheet. I got 5 tractors to decal, so I'll need 10 total
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 04:49:55 AM »
Ok, I'll put at least enough logos on each sheet to decorate 6 tractors (that is 12 sets).  Set will go $6 US post-paid. Paypal payment preferred. I will print them either this or the next weekend.

PM me if you want a set. Provide your mailing address.  I will give you my Paypal ID and/or mailing address if you want to send a personal check or Postal Money Order.

I already has one TRW member PM me about these, so we have 3 takers.

Gareth, I'll send these out in a letter-sized envelope but with a thin cardboard insert inside the envelope (to protect the decals). It might cost slightly more than a standard letter.  PM me and we'll work out the details.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:52:48 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
Decals and instructions are printed and ready. Each sheet will have enough decals for 8 tractors. I printed 6 sets and I now have 2 left. PM me if you're interested.  $6 postpaid. Paypal payment preferred.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 03:06:40 AM »
Gareth,
the photo you posted of the model showing the tractor body with the sample logo printouts has a green cutting mat as a background. What size is the grid?  1cm squares?
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 11:14:52 AM »
Gareth,
the photo you posted of the model showing the tractor body with the sample logo printouts has a green cutting mat as a background. What size is the grid?  1cm squares?

1cm it is! Just measured to be sure.