Author Topic: Decals over Trimfilm  (Read 1067 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Decals over Trimfilm
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »
I'm making some of these: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1830799

I am planning to use red Microscale Trimfilm to make the rotary flag.   But from the photo, notice the white lettering on the ends.   Do I just apply the Trimfilm, let it dry completely, and then just put the other decals over that?   Or will applying the setting solution cause the Trimfilm to also release again?  (and thus, I would need to seal the Trimfilm some way?)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: Decals over Trimfilm
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »

I am planning to use red Microscale Trimfilm to make the rotary flag.   But from the photo, notice the white lettering on the ends.   Do I just apply the Trimfilm, let it dry completely, and then just put the other decals over that?   Or will applying the setting solution cause the Trimfilm to also release again?  (and thus, I would need to seal the Trimfilm some way?)

I changed numbers on some of my cars, first putting on a trimfilm patch where the numbers were to go. I let it dry thoroughly, then put on the numbers. I don't recall having any problems with the Trimfilm releasing when the Micro Sol was added for the numbers.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to spray some gloss coat over the red decals, let it dry, then add the extra white lettering. I still have cars to change numbers on, so I think I'll use gloss coat before I put the numbers on the Trimfilm patches.

Hmm... I think Kiz is
putting yellow Trimfilm on
those rotten bananas he
buys for me...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:55:38 PM »
Shouldn't have any issues at all once the trimfilm is in place and allowed to dry.  I do this all the time for patched numbers.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:49:19 PM »
Shouldn't have any issues at all once the trimfilm is in place and allowed to dry.  I do this all the time for patched numbers.

Yeah.. You won't have a problem with that...

If you try to put a decal over an unused decal, the water will loosen / soften the underlying decal / paper and you'd likely have a mess on your hands..

... Dry Transfers however.. Do work (or so I hear)..  I read on here someone trying to do dry transfer onto an uneven surface, and someone suggested applying to clear trim film.. turning it into a decal..

Also, If you had an Alps printer, you could print the lettering on the red trim film..

~Ian
~Ian