Author Topic: New MR Project layout  (Read 11438 times)

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
New MR Project layout
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:40:23 AM »
Anyone notice the next MR project layout is an N scale door layout? It is set in the 1960s with the BN in Iowa. Looks pretty cool.
Bernard Kempinski

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New MR Project layout
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 12:59:31 AM »
It is set in the 1960s with the BN in Iowa.

Is that the April issue?

Ah - you meant CB&Q.   :)

Jason
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:03:38 AM by wcfn100 »

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 01:08:54 AM »
Yes, I meant the Q, not BN. At least I didn't type BNSF.

Andrew Hutchinson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 02:20:10 AM »
I saw that and thought it looked pretty nice as well - as well as one can tell in the preview photo. I hope it is! Some of the better project layouts are the things I remember most about MR. The Berkshire (was it Western?) christmas 92 and the Mohawk the following year still stand out in my memory.

Andrew Hutchinson

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 02:57:05 AM »
I've been watching then build it on their webcam.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:01:47 AM »
It's interesting to see how they build the layouts...techniques they use as well as the items employed to create the scenes. Their design could use some new thinking. This Red Oak layout is the Carolina series redone. Has the view blocked staging area and minimal switching. Done on a door.

But seeing a different RR portrayed is a nice change. CB&Q hasn't had much air time over the years.

I guess they can't all be like the Clinchfield or even the NY&Quebec.

chrismears

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »
I saw that and thought it looked pretty nice as well - as well as one can tell in the preview photo. I hope it is! Some of the better project layouts are the things I remember most about MR. The Berkshire (was it Western?) christmas 92 and the Mohawk the following year still stand out in my memory.

Andrew Hutchinson
I agree on the Berkshire layout that Lou Sassi built. I think that will remain a favourite of mine for a while to come - might be one of the finest 4x8 layouts I've ever seen.

Cheers

/chris

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3315
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »
One of my favorites is still the BN layout.  Perhaps I'm biased because I know most of the guys who built it (unfortunately, quite a few of them are no longer with us). 

Good memories :)

Nate
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »
It looked really nice. I actually have 2 HCDs I haven't tossed from some recent remodeling that I've been considering using for maybe a portable layout or something for the kids. I have the book they ended up making for the BN layout, I thought that was a pretty good one also,

Phil
- Phil

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
Is that the "c" shaped BN layout, from the early '90s maybe, that had the WICT branch line? If that's the one, I love that one. That's the one that got me to change from HO to N.

Craig

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
Is that the "c" shaped BN layout, from the early '90s maybe, that had the WICT branch line? If that's the one, I love that one. That's the one that got me to change from HO to N.

I think that layout and the similar Wisconsin Central layout they did had a greater effect on recruiting new n-scalers than many give them credit for.

I saw a quick video of the Red Oak Route and it looks fantastic.   It's a great showcase for the recent abundance of Burlington Route equipment that has made it to n-scale, which in its own right is some really sleek, classy looking stuff.   I think simple is better in this instance...some basic switching and the opportunity for some quality mainline running and simple passenger ops.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 10:34:32 PM »
I just watched the vid and I think they may have sold me a subscription. Albeit simple and "just a door" it appears to be well thought out and executed and an interesting and not often featured theme. There probably won't be any ground breaking stuff disclosed in the 3-4 issues it's discussed in, but this is the kind of easy yet well done stuff I want to see so I'm voting with my dollars.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:37:39 PM by kalbert »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 11:27:42 PM »
It looks very well done.  Prototypical theme, well executed...taking advantage of N scale's strength by not overcrowding the space with track.  Bravo, Model Railroader, bravo...   :)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »
Huh.

Just saw the track plan.  Interesting branch line staging.  I get what they were trying to do, and I guess it works but....seems a little Rube  Goldberg to me.

Overall I still love the concept.  If this one ever came up for sale I might bite.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »
Just got my MR today. This definitely looks interesting.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B