Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/14/14  (Read 6799 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Weekend Update 9/14/14
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »

Richie Dost

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
Re: Weekend Update 9/14/14
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:14:26 PM »
While not actual modelling by me, I'm really happy to see the August set of prototype weathered/graffiti cars from Micro-Trains. Two of the cars are very nice renditions of two photos I took about 5 years ago.

When I saw these cars, I was really excited to see most of the reference photos were from a website I run called GoldenWestService.com

It's like having your own personal modeller  :D
http://blwnscale.com/mt-weathered.htm

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »
Making my way south from Fort Nelson after a snowy summer vacation..  Serves me right for travelling in September I guess...

On the plus side I was able to complete some 40 feet of photo backdrop files in Photoshop while on the road.  Most are generic forest textures but the Muskwa industrial area and Fort Nelson River crossing are the signature scenes.   Off to the print shop as soon as I get back to Calgary.

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 09:09:26 PM »
weathered this PFM mogul this week. finally got around to painting the snow pilot too and installing it. next up working markers...

if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »
Spent a few hours on a Model Power FP7A.

Read more about the project here: 

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=33955.msg392013#msg392013

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:53:10 PM »
A major milestone for me modelwise this past week as two long term projects reached completion:  the two coaches for my planned consist of the Prince George Auxiliary.  These have been under construction since March 2013 and were challenging scratchbuilds so I am very glad to see them finished at last.

Tool Wash Car BCOL 6506
This car was converted by the British Columbia Railway from former Canadian Pacific mail car 3703 in 1976 and provided crews with a place to store tools and wash up.  It was retired in the mid 1990s and now resides at the railway museum in Prince George, where friend and fellow RW member Chris Dittmar was able to obtain field measurements and reference photographs for me:

The carbody for this model was a gift scratchbuilt for me by friend Geoff Gooderham who sells a line of resin kits for various CPR coaches and cars.  The styrene body incorporates a Con-Cor roof.  I added Archer rivet decals to the end sheets, Gold Medal grab irons and sill steps, scratchbuilt roof vents and Miniatures By Eric smoke jacks.  I built the underframe and detailed it with Precision Scale Co. brake equipment and empty equipment racks.  The correct trucks were printed via Shapeways by Eric Cox of Panamint Models and are fitted with Fox Valley 36" wheels.  Jeff Briggs painted and weathered the model:

Cook Diner BCOL 6508
This car was converted by the Pacific Great Eastern Railway from sleeping car WILLIAMS LAKE in February 1969 and provided accommodation for the cook, a kitchen, and a dining area for the work crew.  The former Pullman car was cut down to the belt rail and new upper sides added, and the vestobule at one end was plated in.  The underframe water tank was supplied by several overhead water reservoirs in the rooftop enclosure.  The car was retired in the mid 1990s and now resides in Terrace where it is home to the local model railway club.  The location was fortunate as it is also home to friend and fellow RW member Doug Davies, who obtained many field measurements and reference photographs for me.  This picture by Doug was taken upon arrival at Terrace and shows a silver roof which would have been applied after my era:

I scratchbuilt the body in styrene incoporating a Con-Cor roof, and added a BLMA air conditioner, Gold Medal grab irons, sill steps and ladder.  Archer rivet decals were applied below the belt rail.  The underframe was detailed with Precision Scale Co. dual AB bake equipment, scratchbuilt Pullman steps and water tank.  The roof includes a scratchbuilt water tank enclosure and smoke jacks from American Model Builders and Miniatures By Eric.  The model rides on Micro-Trains heavyweight passenger trucks with Fox Valley 36" wheels.  Jeff Briggs painted and weathered the model:

Here are the two models pictured together from above:

These now join the recently completed cable car and panel track car, and next up is the crane idler BCOL 6502.

Thank you for looking,

Tim

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:15:53 AM by BCR 570 »
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 11:57:48 PM »
inspired by a diorama I saw here...had to give it a try, excuse the wet glue...needs some detailing...still playing around with static grass
Any feedback appreciated

Mike
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 07:12:31 AM »
Making my way south from Fort Nelson after a snowy summer vacation..  Serves me right for travelling in September I guess...

Very cool pic!

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »
Those BCR work cars are outstanding Tim. True works of art and will be the focus whenever they take to the rails.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »

Any feedback appreciated

Mike

How's this for feedback? That looks freakin' great, Mike!

Jim

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »
I got commissioned this summer to do a custom-build of the 65-ton Whitcomb now stored at Benwood, WV at the steel mill there.   I'm still making both the kits and custom builds.

The Benwood relic is pretty tired looking now.  http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5222/5565816133_71b5dfbd6a.jpg

It was modeled in 'better days' condition by request of the buyer.   Did this one with the 5.14:1 gearhead drive, custom directional LED lighting, and some other mods and details I haven't tried before.  This one was fun:

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
I discovered the magic that is a Silhouette Craft Cutter.  Scratchbuilding has been taken to a whole new dimension!

On the left, the original.  Measured and cut by hand and assembled over 4-5 days. 
On the right, the craft cutter sequel.  Drawn, cut hands-free, and assembled all this morning. 

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »
Since I already have E8As 4020, 4021 & 4022 along with Big Dome 55 in hand ... with CR 11 coming from Rapido, maybe it will inspire me to finish these three.

Top to bottom — CR 9, CR 12 and CR 10 respectively.  I need to get them done.  Too many lingering half-finished projects.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »
Messin' with sage.
Andrew Hegstad

peteski