Author Topic: BLMA Train Line Air Hose Availability?  (Read 3398 times)

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
Re: BLMA Train Line Air Hose Availability?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »
We should have NEW Trainline Hoses in stock sometime later this year or early in 2015.  Our new design will be featured on our upcoming 60' Flat Car, and will be used in our #69 packaging.

Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 10:56:17 PM »
My Precision Scale parts are smaller than the BLMA parts, which have always appeared to be a bit oversized to my eye.  The Precision Scale parts are not as sharply molded as the BLMA parts were, but, sharp enough.  My Precision Scale parts are brass, and they would naturally be a bit smaller than the plastic versions since there's a bit of shrinkage from wax or plastic master to brass.

For a true side-by-side comparo, representative plastic parts should be compared, but I only have the brass Precision Scale part.

Here's a photo comparing both the brass Prescision Scale plastic product and the BLMA brass product.  As you can plainly see, the parts from both manufacturers are not uniform, but the plastic BLMA parts obviously have sharper details:

To order the Precision Scale parts you need a catalog which they snail mail to you, and I believe they have a $30 minimum order.  The illustrations in the catalog are small drawings and may not be completely representative of the part delivered.

Also, it's pretty plain that they're not derived from the same mold as there are significant differences at high magnification that certain details are totally different.

Hmm... I think we need to compare the plastic parts then.  I swear BLMA struck a deal with Precision Scale to run the parts which were unavailable from PSC for a long time.

Maybe I was just wrong on the plastic parts being used to investment cast the brass parts.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1870
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 10:38:55 PM »
The PSC 6705 (plastic) and the BLMA #69 plastic hoses came from the same mold. I just compared the packages I have sitting here and they are identical (except for the price, the PSC was way cheaper).
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »
doesn't Craig answer his email at BLMA?   If he does, then you will have your answer; if he does not then why should he answer here?

We should have NEW Trainline Hoses in stock sometime later this year or early in 2015.

LOL I stand corrected.   Evidently TRW has become the Customer Service forum for BLMA.  (Hopefully the info is also posted on the BLMA page)  :D :D :D

Ed

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 09:18:17 PM »
So, saw the BLMA trainline hoses are back in stock at Kleins.   I have a few packages on the way, so we shall see...   :D

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/BLMA-N-69-Trainline-Air-Hoses-injection-molded-p/blma-69.htm

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:20:29 PM by flight2000 »
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »
For the record ( @ednadolski ) , I'm cool with questions like this for a few reasons:

1.  Enlightening information comes out from other posters (like the comparison pics).
2.  Craig may chime in and avoid answering 10 emails asking the same question.
3.  Chance of creating a new meme is high.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
So, saw the BLMA trainline hoses are back in stock at Kleins.   I have a few packages on the way, so we shall see...   :D

Thanks for the update, Brian. I'll be sure to order some.

Hmm... and me with my
railroad budget blown...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 12:53:03 AM »
The hoses on the new flatcar look very nice, but seem to be a little fragile.  One of mine, out of four on two cars, is already missing, after adding ACI labels and weathering the car.  Like Bluford Shops commented on their hoppers, these are likely to survive only on cars that are NOT handled.

Maybe they could be molded in a flexible engineering plastic, so they could bend easily?  Not the stuff MT uses for stirrups, but something more "rubbery". 

I'm not complaining, as very few of my cars have hoses anyway, so the missing ones don't stand out.  About the only models that I routinely add them to are narrow gauge locomotives.
N Kalanaga
Be well

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »
Hey Craig,
What are your thoughts on answering once on a public forum as opposed to 10 or more emails?
 :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:

Seriously, though, while we're all here, does BLMA make straight and drop grabs in all the sizes available on their drilling jigs?

I only see 15 inch drop, 18 inch drop, and 18 inch straight. Did BLMA ever do 15 inch straight, or anything in 20 or 24 inches?

...and will be used in our #69 packaging.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
Ha!  I'm game to answer questions anywhere, as I see them.  That said, Tom's point is valid - answering one question here is better than 10 Emails of the same.  That said, I'm always available via Email, and that answer can be reposted on the forums...

We have 15" drop and straight grab irons.  The straight grab irons are our #76 (20pcs); drop grabs are #59 (20pcs) and #67 (60pcs).

#69 is back!  Bring on the memes!

Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com