Author Topic: Finished with Pete Nolan's Harbor Cruise Ship Kit  (Read 858 times)

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +193
Finished with Pete Nolan's Harbor Cruise Ship Kit
« on: August 18, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »
I actually finished a few months back but I put off taking photos since that is the weakest link in my hobby skillset.

The whole kit is .020 styrene with superb etched stairs and railings.

Here are a few in progress shots.

The kit reminds me of the Chicago River Architectural cruise ships that used to pass by the Traffic Court Building that I worked at a few weeks each summer right on the River.  This kit is actually one deck taller than that boat but it looks right to me.  It's not like it's a GP-38 without a sightglass :D

Pete's kit is of a ship that doesn't have seating on the deck so I added my own fabricated from Evergreen strip.  Decals were printed by a friend.

Passing below the placeholder Chicago River Bridge.  The bridge was printed from actual blueprints found on-line.  Gotta get on that project someday.

I really enjoyed building Pete's kit.  Great instructions on-line at nscaleships.com.  It was a nice departure from building structures and pushed me to develop some new skills.  Challenging but not overly difficult and a very satisfying build.  Not sure that I'm ready to tackle one of his four foot tankers, though!
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
    • N Scale Ships
Re: Finished with Pete Nolan's Harbor Cruise Ship Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:03:45 PM »
Really neat build, Roger! Thanks!

Send me a drawing of that bridge. I might be able to cut it out of styrene. I'm cutting similar stuff for large tankers/container ships very successfully, so might be able to make a nice kit at a pretty low price.

rschaffter

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:38:52 PM »
Great modeling and a nice kit!   :)
Cheers,
Rod Schaffter

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +733
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »
Cool , gonna put a smoke generator or lights on it ? Given the size anything would fit .

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1806
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
Kudos to Pete on a well-designed kit and to Roger for doing a fantastic job of assembling and finishing it.  Thanks for sharing.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +163
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »
love it, was eyeing that kit and may be sold now. Like your additions as well, good build!  :drool:
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +252
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
Verrrry nice.  I will have to try my hand if I ever finish my 100 or so passenger cars (sides and kitbashes).

And good job also with the Chicago river- people may find it hard to believe, but it really is that color.  I lived there for 40 years, and walked across that bridge, well, ok, a slightly larger copy of that bridge.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1887
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:49:20 PM »
Looks good Roger!
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon