Author Topic: Looking for stone arch bridges for hiway/railroad  (Read 2474 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Looking for stone arch bridges for hiway/railroad
« on: August 18, 2014, 03:23:31 AM »
If you have a NE layout, you gotta have a stone arch bridge somewhere .... I've looked at various N bridges and even tunnel portals for kitbashing in the Walther's online catalog. Anybody see a stone arch bridge somewhere else?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: Looking for stone arch bridges for hiway/railroad
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 03:26:29 AM »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:36 AM »
The old standby, the Atlas viaduct, can be made to look better with proper paint and the addition of anti-spalling hardware.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Atlas-N-2826-Viaduct-Kit-p/atl-2826.htm
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:29:11 AM by Dave Vollmer »

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
At my old club (White Pines, decades ago) they actually used a saw to cut plywood in arch shapes, and I have seen articles on doing it in foam, which would be easier yet.  You would have to add a thin layer of plaster and carve the stone face, or apply one of those Chooch rock faces, with arches cut out, and maybe some work to get the key stones, etc.

A bit of work, but also, customized to your actual bridge requirements.

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »
I plan to scratch build a curved arch viaduct.

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »
I've used cut down HO scale tunnel portals for the sides, and carved the ceiling.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 10:31:47 PM »
The old standby, the Atlas viaduct, can be made to look better with proper paint and the addition of anti-spalling hardware.

I think a nice simple kit like this is the best candidate for kitbashing. What are the dimensions? How wide are the arches? None of this info is given on the Atlas or Walthers sites.
I should have said that I'm looking for a multi-arch structure. Perhaps optimistically, I'm planning the stone bridge to carry a highway over a L-shaped river, on which a mill dam is built across the river through/under one of the arches, a mill pond above the dam(and encompassing some of the bridge arches), and a single-track through truss RR bridge going diagonally over the whole scene. Oh yeah, a mill race outlet is part of one of the end abutments of the stone bridge. Have no idea if such a scene can be actually done.
I've seen all the bridges available from all the usual outlets. But if anybody knows of some small or little-known producer you won't find in the Walthers catalog let me know.

Flagler

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »
Scratching my head :D

Flagler

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
You have a plan.Build the scene first . Draw a elevation to scale of the Bridge, Use the drawing as a Templete and cut the sides of 30 or 20 pt styrene. Laminate a brick pattern to the outside.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 02:10:06 AM »
I used a "hole saw" made for electric drills to cut mine from pine boards.  On the other hand, I needed several identical arches for my narrow gauge, and cutting them from a single board made assembly easier.  Like Flagler suggested, I used textured stone paper for the facing.

Since you want a multi-arch bridge, for a highway, you first need to decide how wide the highway will be.  An older road may only have eight foot lanes, so "2 inch" lumber, actually 1.5 inches wide, might work.  The problem there is cutting half a circle with a drill.  It won't work. 

What I did was to make both of my main bridges, and some extra arches, at the same time, with the two boards clamped together edge to edge.  Make them overlong, then screw or nail the extra to cross pieces, so teh boards can't separate.  Drill the holes along the joint between the boards, and you have two bridges.  In your case, make two half bridges and join them end-to-end.  On mine, I needed taller bridges, and made the piers from balsa.  It's all hidden by the facing anyway.
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:51 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. If anybody has the dimensions of the old Atlas stone arch trestle, please list them.
As it is I'm going to be scratchbuilding the raceway outflow exit and the mill dam (plus constructing the mill pond and downriver flow), so if I can get away with a kit for the bridge I'd be happy. My idea about having the dam run under/through one of the bridge arches may wind up with me having to build a combined dam/bridge/raceway outflow, but I want to try the simple way first.
I tried to draw up a drawing of what I'm looking for but I'm not that great with orthographic projections.

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 04:36:41 AM »
Did you look at the Atlas stone bridges as used in the S & G S layout in the atlas n scale layout book?