Author Topic: Micro Layout Prototypes  (Read 1000 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
Micro Layout Prototypes
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:12:21 AM »
Last winter we were fortunate witnesses to several amazing NE themed micro layouts.

What else works well for the 20 x 30 to 2 x 3 foot sized layout for a prototype?  I'm finding a layout this size based on one large industry impractical, and when I tried a small southern boondocks downtown scene theme it left lots of empty space. I'm doodling in Anyrail and not really liking what develops at this point, probably because anyone can throw down track in various arrangements, but I'd really like to find something with an anchor in some reality. Modern, industrial, could be urban or suburban.

Here's a modified DKS plan that sort of works, but I don't like the triple track yard up top.

Trenton Transportation redone in a 22 x 32 space. I like this arrangement and have the pieces to plug and chug here, but what to scenic is the question.

Here are three more doodles with various TRW inspired roots.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:11:51 PM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
Re: Micro Layout Prototypes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:21:28 AM »
I find it is much easier to make up a trackplan I like than it is to fill in the rest of the layout to make it scenically interesting.

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
Last winter we were fortunate witnesses to several amazing NE themed micro layouts.

What else works well for the 20 x 30 to 2 x 3 foot sized layout for a prototype?  I'm finding a layout this size based on one large industry impractical, and when I tried a small southern boondocks downtown scene theme it left lots of empty space. I'm doodling in Anyrail and not really liking what develops at this point, probably because anyone can throw down track in various arrangements, but I'd really like to find something with an anchor in some reality. Modern, industrial, could be urban or suburban.

Here's a modified DKS plan that sort of works, but I don't like the triple track yard up top.

Trenton Transportation redone in a 22 x 32 space. I like this arrangement and have the pieces to plug and chug here, but what to scenic is the question.

Here are three more doodles with various TRW inspired roots.

Peter Pfotenhauer

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:58:42 AM »
Think I found a decent industrial prototype for the micro layout. It even uses two of my favorite cars: covered hoppers and tankers.

Suffolk, Virginia, ground zero for Virginia's peanut industry, has just enough downtown to qualify as "urban," in a small Southern way.  See what you think,

From Google Maps street view. I remember when I used to think these two buildings were tall back when I was a kid and we drove through on our way to visit Grandma and Grandpa

A perfect building for one of those small spaces between the tracks.

The big peanut plant (now abandoned) 1 block off of Main St was a fixture in trips through town.

An overhead shot. Love the cracks in the pavement on the right. Plenty of rooftop details, vents, and piping, to make this a modeling challenge.

The trackside view.

Further down E. Washington St. there is another small DMP area.

And the tracks cross the street by another abandoned peanut processing plant. This one is more easily condensed for a micro layout.

Business has relocated and consolidated to the Birdsong plant on Factory Ave.

Rix grain bins anyone?

This plant has an interesting variation in construction materials.

Suffolk also is home to a couple large rail served warehouses and a Univar plant of some type.

More tank cars with solvents and chemicals.

A two hour tour using Google Earth gives me more than enough to full the 22x32 space for a modified DKS design.

Peter Pfotenhauer