Author Topic: Athearn Challenger in stock anywhere??  (Read 1963 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
Athearn Challenger in stock anywhere??
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:57:21 AM »
 I've checked about 8-9, mostly online, shops looking for said loco. No luck.
 Thanks for any help.
 Joe D

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Athearn Challenger in stock anywhere??
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:17:22 AM »
If you don't mind paying full retail, try contacting Hub Hobby in Richfield (MN). I know for sure they had a couple of Big Boys sitting on the shelf the last time I was in there, and I'm pretty sure they had a Challenger too.

http://www.hubhobby.com/

Good luck!
-Mark

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Bill McBride

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »
Thanks fella's. Was/is it available in DC only? Or is this loco dual mode? I see Athearn's site says discontinued.
 Joe D

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »
The one's at Lombard have Tsunami Sound/DCC which should give you some functions in DC - I assume. I can't speak from experience since I run DCC.
Bill McBride

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:19:44 PM »
 :|            The new  (last) version of the Challenger and Big Boy locomotives has a duel mode decoder, in DC you gat chuffing , a whistle and bell at start up sometimes speed dependent. All functions are accessed in DCC. Gone is the little hand held RC remote that allowed all functions including running the locomotive that the old MRC system used. Nate Goodman (Nato).

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
one sold on Ebay yesterday for 230.00
~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
NTRAK Board of Directors
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

[/ur

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »
I looked on the Bay yesterday, guess not good enough. Thanks.
 Joe D

sumfred

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:16:31 PM »
I ordered the loco with "elephant ears". I remember when this loco came out, someone wanted to convert it D&H. I think problems were smokebox, and tender. Anyone here do it?
 Joe D

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +407
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 01:17:56 AM »
Thanks fella's. Was/is it available in DC only? Or is this loco dual mode? I see Athearn's site says discontinued.
 Joe D

When I go to the Athearn site, it says "sold out", not discontinued.  I'm sure they'll be making more of both Big Boys and Challengers in the future, which are always excellent sellers for them.

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 01:44:57 AM »
Rob, it really did say discontinued. But yeh, bring more on!
 One reason I don't believe everything I read on the 'net. Hopefully I get mine from Trainland/World (?) mid week.
 Joe D

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 08:39:15 AM »
seems to be a few years between runs

Jmwilson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »
I've got one in the overland paint scheme I'd probably let go, I never run it. Its one of the first release ones I think.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +407
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 01:08:39 AM »
I've got one in the overland paint scheme I'd probably let go, I never run it. Its one of the first release ones I think.

If it's got the little remote control with it, then it's one of the first releases.  They also had pizza cutter flanges on everything but the drivers if I remember correctly.  Athearn was replacing those for free at one time.  Maybe they've still got some in stock.

If it's got the remote control with it, then that means its got the POS MRC decoder, which is famous for melting tenders, being impossible to program and both running and sounding like the POS it is.

Soundtraxx offered a drop-in replacement for this with their TSU-4664N Tsunami sound decoder, which is what all the new releases have in them...BUT...Soundtraxx discontinued these, and they are now near impossible to find.  Truth is, the Tsunami TSU-750 "Heavy Steam" has the same sound files in it, is much smaller and would make room for a larger speaker and enclosure...and it's available.

Others have been installing the ESU Loksound decoders in theirs with good results, but the whistle on the ESU doesn't sound anything like a U.P. Big Boy/Challenger/FEF...which all were fitted with the same whistle.

I really like my TSU-4664N's and it would be very difficult to improve upon their motion control (others disagree with me).  I also like the equalizer function, which really improves the sound quality in my book.  What I don't like about the Tsunami (all of them) is that the sound they come with is the sound you get.  They do not allow sound files to be fiddled with or replaced as do ESU Loksound decoders, and Digitrax Sound decoders.

What I'm saying is that if you don't want your tender to melt (Athearn does not sell replacement shells any more), then you'll have to replace the POS MRC decoder in the original run Challengers.  If you want it to run on Atlas 55 track, you'll have to replace all the wheelsets other than the drivers...and I am not sure if Athearn still sells those.

This is why original run Challengers and Big Boys usually sell for considerably less than the Tsunami equipped ones.