Author Topic: NS commercials vs sanity  (Read 1168 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +762
NS commercials vs sanity
« on: July 21, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
Too many IMO . So does a shipper really have a choice of the railroad that hauls their goods ? Wouldn't it just be the home road by default due to proximity ? So why all the ads every 15 minutes or less ?

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Re: NS commercials vs sanity
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »
There's ads on the site??

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2779
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
Don't think I've ever seen a NS ad on TV, just CSX.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1042
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »
Apparently it depends on market (as all TV advertising does!). I've seen NS, UP and CSX ads on ABC/NBC/CBS network shows in the St. Louis TV market, and then there's BNSF's big sponsorship of PBS Evening News, where they show a 30 second ad two or three times a week. The BNSF ad is great - several historic clips, and the music is pleasant, too:

http://www.bnsf.com/media/video/?file=/media/video/video/BNSF_Anthem_COM.flv&title=Watch%20Our%20New%20TV%20Spot
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +28
    • Unnamed Switching Layout
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
You've also got to think this is more than just advertising to shippers; they could also be part of a PR campaign to get the general public to be more open to those projects which the RR may need to complete in the future to move goods more efficiently.
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
You've also got to think this is more than just advertising to shippers; they could also be part of a PR campaign to get the general public to be more open to those projects which the RR may need to complete in the future to move goods more efficiently.

On the nose. Think Bakken oil trains, for one. Similarly, in our market, the major utilities frequently do positive-buzz feel-good commercials ahead of state regulator hearings. They aren't "selling" anything other than "see what good guys we are?" when they're just about to stuff a 10% rate hike down everyone's throats. Anyway...

A big component of UP's heritage program and the 4014 restoration is to generate a positive image with the public. They also have the "Train Town USA" program, a "key to the city" bit of fluff involving local small city leaders, where they donate small amounts (small to UP) that are big contributions to local causes. For example, the $10K that was just donated to a small city near us to jump start their history museum. Sad truth is, in this case it's an "ignore the man behind the curtain" bit of subterfuge to steer attention away from the intermodal terminal project under construction now. The end result is going to put 100-200 more trucks a day on their narrow main street through an old-style downtown, since it's the only route between UP's yard and the interstate. It's not going to be pretty.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:23:18 PM by C855B »
...mike

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 07:23:36 PM »

+1 These are definitely for investors and business that may help finance the road's projects and such.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 09:15:44 PM »
Here is one of the latest

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »
I had no idea railroads advertised on TV like that, I guess it's just general branding.  Been many years since I've seen a TV commercial though, pretty much eliminated all advertising from my life.

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:47 PM »
Here is one of the latest
/>

I always enjoy this one!

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 12:33:24 AM »
Atlanta skyline plays prominently in that NS spot. The special effects and editing definitely elicits a "toy train" feel to it; no locomotives were harmed in its production. :D

It's business oriented. Curious what TV shows this would run with. It seems like those investment company commercials you only see during major golf tournaments.

I recall the theme of one CSX commercial was basically "trains good, trucks bad". IIRC that might have been a while back as the truckers were pushing hearings for allowing 60' trailers, or it might have been for nationwide approval for long (53') tandems or triples. That was an "appeal to the public" campaign.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:35:54 AM by C855B »
...mike

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »
Strangely,NS runs right in front of my door,I'm nowhere near any CSX trackage.I've never seen an NS commercial,I see dozens of CSX spots..

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +413
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 03:24:11 AM »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
Norfolk Southern, What's Your Function
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 06:18:21 PM »
For the younger folks on the list. Here is the original School House Rock video from the 1970's that the Norfolk Southern, What's Your Function video music was based on.

I think they did a really good job with this video and I'm not just saying that because they sign my paycheck  :facepalm:

Now onto the show....