Author Topic: Ideas on modeling Fruit Growers Express 40' reefers and insulated boxcars  (Read 3704 times)

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
I know that this has been discussed to some degree already but I am hoping to get a few more ideas about modeling both type of cars.  I guess that it was the announcement by Atlas to offer some new paint schemes on the Trainman 40' plug door boxcar that got me looking at it and comparing it to known shots of the FGE reefer and insulated cars with some interesting detail being found.

In comparing the prototype shots linked to below to shots of the Atlas Trainmaster model I have found it interesting that the same basic construction of both the reefers and the insulated cars was identical with once exception, that being the roofs on the reefer cars.  Both cars had the Stanray roofs with raised diagonal panels but the reefers had different ends of the roof to allow for the ice hatches with 8 diagonal roof panels while the insulated cars had 10 roof panels, as found on the Atlas model...

http://www.atlastrainman.com/Images/NFreight/n40pd/0414/20001624_TQ.jpg

Does anyone have an idea of a proper roof or at least a similar roof that can be used to model the reefer cars?  I know I will need some for my freelanced roads and hope that someone can come up with an idea or two on how to model them.  (:scared: Scary thought... I am actually looking at modeling some freight cars instead of thinking about how to model some passenger cars, that has been taking up a lot of my time lately.)

40' ice-bunker reefers.
FHIX 41183 40' plug door reefer
FHIX 41193 40' plug door reefer
FGEX 57936 40' plug-door reefer
BREX 76012 40' plug-door reefer
BREX 76102 40' plug-door reefer
BREX 76133 40' plug-door reefer
BREX 76314 40' plug-door reefer

40' Insulated boxcars.
FHIX 1228 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar
RBNX 80455 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar
RBNX 82204 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar
RBWX 60065 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar
RBWX 60267 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar
RBWX 60287 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar
RBWX 60322 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar
RBWX 60405 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar
RBWX 60515 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar
RBWX 60531 40' Insulated plug-door boxcar

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler

In comparing the prototype shots linked to below to shots of the Atlas Trainmaster model

That's an HO car.  The N scale car has the wrong ends.

As for the roof, you should be able to use any diagonal panel roof you can get two of.  Intermountain is about the only place to get just the roof IFAIK.

Jason
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:43:40 PM by wcfn100 »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Out of curiousity... it looks like all of the RBWX have 4 3/4 panels on each side of each car side, but of the RBNX examples one is the same as the RBWX and the other is 5 3/4 panels.  Is there a standard to the RBWX and what is it?  Also, how wide are those doors?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
Here's the FHIX reefer:

It can be kitbashed from InterMountain ice reefer and Micro-Trains mechanical reefer parts.  The how-to is in the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of NSR.

The RBNX boxcar that the HO Atlas car is based on can be bashed from InterMountain 12-panel boxcar and Con-Cor steel reefer parts, similar to how the FHIX reefer was done.

I guess I goofed on the FHIX roof.  But the proper roof can be constructed from InterMountain parts — the Stanray roof with the stampings filed smooth on the end panels, and hatches from the ice reefer added.  The mounting frame for the hatches can be constructed from Evergreen strips.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:54:14 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Out of curiousity... it looks like all of the RBWX have 4 3/4 panels on each side of each car side, but of the RBNX examples one is the same as the RBWX and the other is 5 3/4 panels.  Is there a standard to the RBWX and what is it?  Also, how wide are those doors?

My bad... didn't go through the links to make sure what was what.

Thanks for the help...  I do appreciate it!!!

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Does anyone know the secret of getting parts from Intermountain. I made a request 2 months ago (20 roofs and 20 sets of ends), got a reply that they were in stock, and then nothing. I have called a couple of times and talked to a nice lady who said she would look into it, but never get a response. Emails haven't been returned. I am not trying to rag on them, because they are actually selling things that really aren't in their product line. I always thank them for doing this, and am very polite. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions based on their experience.

Bryan, that FHIX reefer looks great. I imagine that you have quite the fleet of unique freight cars.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
It can be kitbashed from InterMountain ice reefer and Micro-Trains mechanical reefer parts.  The how-to is in the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of NSR.

Nice to know I can spend $35+ and several hours of work and painting making one car that I need a few of. Plus I can use a bevy of power model tools and equipment to help me (if I buy them). It's unreasonable for me to ask for an new commercially-made N 40' plug door (from ANYBODY) in addition to the 30-year old one because, well hey, PS-1! PS-1!PS-1!
In other news, I noticed the Atlas O scale plug door is the same model as the HO one.
Probably the only important thing to note is there aren't really any N scale FGE decals (or WFEX, for that matter) to cover the 40's-60s variations of FGE lettering and styles. I'm going to try to fix that.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:27:18 AM by OldEastRR »

Dave Schneider

• Crew
OERR,

The original poster asked about modeling, not where he could buy one. Bryan's model looks great to me and the fact that he published an article on it is a bonus.  FYI, Intermountain is charging me 75 cents each for the roof and the ends. A fair price in my opinion. As for requesting new models, people do that all the time and the success rate is probably something like >0.1 %. Wishing doesn't make it so.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
Nice to know I can spend $35+ and several hours of work and painting making one car that I need a few of. Plus I can use a bevy of power model tools and equipment to help me (if I buy them). It's unreasonable for me to ask for an new commercially-made N 40' plug door (from ANYBODY) in addition to the 30-year old one because, well hey, PS-1! PS-1!PS-1!
In other news, I noticed the Atlas O scale plug door is the same model as the HO one.
Probably the only important thing to note is there aren't really any N scale FGE decals (or WFEX, for that matter) to cover the 40's-60s variations of FGE lettering and styles. I'm going to try to fix that.

Well, if you build them assembly-line style, you can knock off multiples with just a little extra time that it takes to make one.  I learned that trick early on, given that it's highly unlikely that most of the prototypes I like/need would ever be tooled as RTR ... unless I do it myself, but I don't have an unlimited source of funds.  8)

Regarding the FHIX, I built two simultaneously in roughly the same amount of time it would take to build one.  And, even though I require a heavy FGE presence, I don't need fleets of specific prototypes.  FGE utilized a myriad of prototypes, which is great because I'd rather have a diverse fleet than have everything look the same.  And black decals are the easiest to do, because all you need to output them is decal paper and a laser printer.

If you want a model badly enough, you'll find a way.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
Bryan, that FHIX reefer looks great. I imagine that you have quite the fleet of unique freight cars.

I'm working on it Dave.  Not as many as I should have.  My problem is that I've got dozens of projects going on simultaneously in various stages.  I need to get some stuff finished.  The NSE convention is approaching, so one project at least will be done in time for the model contest. :)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
Also, there's always resin. On something that I need multiples of I build one, cast it, and then pour as many as I need (or until the mold fails, whichever comes first).
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
It'd be a good project to etch too, like Dave did with his Milwaukee reefer.  It's a shame we don't have a Shapeways for etching; where someone could post a file others could order.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
To give credit where it is due, the etching was inspired by the work of Bryan Bussey. The main difference is that his worked out well, and mine still sit in a box on the workbench. I had problems integrating it onto the car side, mainly due to my design and my lack of skill. I have gone a different route by commissioning a 3D design for the sides for printing at a high end shop. If that works out well I can see making castings available, but that will be some time down the road. I hope I live long enough to finish this project!  ;)

Best wishes, Dave

Spikre

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
 :)
  the Ice cars are based on the 1932 AAR boxcar,so are lower,about 9'4" tall .
  the reason they use the 3-2 1/2 Improved Dreadnaught Ends.
  the RBL/XLI cars seem to be based on the 1937 AAR Boxcars,about 10' tall bodies.
  the reason they use 4-2 1/2 ends with the small flat stamping on the top piece.
   the FGE cars do need good models of them,they were common for years.
   Edit- am only counting the Large corragations,but missed that the top one is not
   all there.
   sort of didnt look close enuff,thanks Jason.
   the body hieghts should be close to what is posted above.
      Spikre
      :?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:45:37 PM by Spikre »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
  the reason they use the 3-3 Improved Dreadnaught Ends.

Almost a 3-3.  The top corrugation is more like 3/4.

Jason