0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
You should check with Atlas to see if they have an extra Chinese-made RS11 walkway/handrails with the built-in pilot. The Japanese-made body should fit the deck. You also could ask Atlas if they still have the original walkway/handrails, which then would eliminate the need to fill those current screw holes in the deck.
I just did an RS3 conversion last week...first one in years. The pilot glues to the bottom of the walkway, drill a hole through the walkway for the screw, slip the coupler in, install the screw. Yes, the screw does go above the walkway, but just barely. Once it's painted, it'll be hard to tell it's there.
Glues in? I don't recall ever attempting to glue any of those conversions to the slippery Delrin walkway. Glues don't really work for that. The fit of that pilot adapter is quite good - no need for glue. The single 00-90 screw will be quite sufficient to hold the coupler and pilot adapter in place. The screw can be cut (or ground with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool) flush with the deck.
So no matter what, a hole is getting drilled through the deck.Before I mangle a new set, maybe I should see if it will line up with the holes in the old set. Or not.
I must be doing something wrong. Back in 1993 when I got into N scale I superglued the MTL pilots into my GP 30/35s and U25-Bs and did not drill holes through the deck for screw clearence as the screws are not that long.Pilots are still in place with no signs of coming loose.(maybe the CA was stronger in the "old" days ?)Oh yeah,it is also keeping the pilots firmly mounted in my Bachmann Dash 8-40Cs too.
The GP30/35 came with body mount couplers so a 1015 would work without a pilot adapter. The U25B was like the U30C in that it had a tall enough walkway that the MT adapter was thicker.