Author Topic: Using Flat Clear Acrylic to Seal Inkjet Decals  (Read 1230 times)

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
Using Flat Clear Acrylic to Seal Inkjet Decals
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:27 PM »
I've always used Gloss Clear Acrylic to seal inkjet decals. Then I sprayed gloss on the area to be decaled, decaled it, and then sprayed flat clear acrylic over the model to dull it back down. I believe that was just the accepted way to apply decals. A few nights ago, I carelessly grabbed a can of flat acrylic, and sprayed my usual two mist coats before realizing it was flat.

So I applied these decals to a surface that was also painted flat--i.e., no coat of gloss. If I was going to mess up the decals, I might as well mess them up doubly. The decals stuck fine and, when oversprayed with flay clear acrylic, looked no different than my previous glossy-flat routine.

Am I missing something or is the "glossy surface works best" saw a myth with today's paints and papers?

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
Re: Using Flat Clear Acrylic to Seal Inkjet Decals
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
Glossy works best because air is least likely to get trapped.  Trapped air is "silvering" under the decals.

It is possible to have less than a glossy surface and get away with it, easier the smaller the decal or the less clear you're trying to carry with the artwork.  For example, PollyScale was never all that glossy, but smooth enough that I stopped bothering with a super glossy clear. 

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »
Thanks, Mike! Now it makes sense. I've always been more concerned with engineering the model than painting and detailing it--scratchbuilding something is easier for me than painting or decaling it.

So I guess it matters little that I used flat acrylic to waterproof the top layer of the decal, rather than gloss? I do not lather on any coating, prefering a nice build-up of light coats. I've also learned to let things dry between stages.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
I've also learned to let things dry between stages.

Sounds like some hard-learned lessons there.
James R. Will

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »
I like to keep my paint layers as thin as possible. For myself I decal directly on flat with liberal coats of Micro-Set & Micro-Sol. I allow it allow it dry completely between coats. Prick the silver spots with a clean #11 and reapply Mirco-Sol. Finish with dull coat. I find this hides trim film around the decal better, it's almost like the decal gets etched into the paint.

It requires a little more prep time to make sure the decal is perfectly aligned. If I screw up it usually means a bath and repaint. But I've gotten pretty efficient at it and haven't screwed anything up in a long time.

The S.