Author Topic: Time for a new Atlas 40' Plug door in N  (Read 5760 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Time for a new Atlas 40' Plug door in N
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
HO people have it, why not us? Seeing as Atlas did a brand-new N PS-1 model to supercede the 30 year old version they had, isn't it logical to do a new plug door to supersede THAT 30-year old model?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Time for a new Atlas 40' Plug door in N
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 10:23:24 PM »
Tooling money doesn't grow on trees you know.  ;)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 10:25:02 PM »
While I cannot claim any knowledge whatsoever about the market for such a car, I would buy a large number of them. Atlas has offered many nice paint schemes on this car but I can't get past the work that it would take to improve them. I do have 20 of their DSDX cars from a special run so that is enough on my plate for now.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:45:22 PM »
The old PS1 had that nasty look door on it. Other than clunky steps and running board what is wrong with the plug door?

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:57:19 PM »
The old PS1 had that nasty look door on it. Other than clunky steps and running board what is wrong with the plug door?

Nothing "wrong" but it has a P-S roof which precludes using it as a prototypical version for some railroads and companies. I just wonder why they made one version in HO and another in N of the same type of car.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4587
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »
I just wonder why they made one version in HO and another in N of the same type of car.

Join the club - I think that we all are wondering about this.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 11:02:13 PM »
As to why, I don't know, but the plug door is too modern for me. So I'm glad they did the PS-1  ;)

Dave Schneider

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 12:27:03 AM »
Stock car.

Improved model by Mike Skibbe.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 05:22:31 AM »
Roof, roof, roof, roof, roof. Hate to keep barking about the same point but since we have 8 or 10 versions of a 40' boxcar, why can't we have more than one version of a 40' plug?(I don't count the ConCor plug because it is some kind of mishmash of car versions)  It's not some obscure car type used by only a few railroads (hell, ESM made a plugdoor version used by only 2 RRs!). Atlas shelled out big bux for how many versions of a 40' box? Four? Six? man! Just take the top off the old plug door shell die and put on a different roof die, how much does that cost?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 07:57:54 AM »
ESM may have made a plug door version used by only two roads (the XIH is what you are implying I presume), but it was a signature car in a signature scheme that regularly traveled to every corner of the continent.  8)

It's tough to complain about this Atlas model in this forum, when it's easy enough to extract the sides and combine it with various roof and ends to get the prototypes desired.  At least the dimensions of this 40-year-old model are close to accurate.  Same with the 40' double door.  Gotta start kitbashing, and be thankful that components exist so that you don't have to scratchbuild instead.

Again, tooling costs money.  It's not as if the annual Atlas tooling budget is miniscule, and it's not as if their N scale product lines get neglected juxtaposed with their HO product lines.  Prototypes such as the PS-1 boxcar, PS-3 hopper, 85' trash car, modern coil car and ACF TOFC are far higher on the demand scale than a 40' plug-door boxcar.  New tooling scheduled to appear this year include the third PS-1 boxcar variation, two PS-3 hoppers, and an S-2 switcher, along with various track and accessory components.  I don't think you can legitimately hit Atlas for not offering a "Master" version of their 40' plug-door model, particularly when the tooling of the "Trainman" version already has been enhanced and the model still sells well.

It's not difficult to replace the roof, even if the model is pre-decorated.  It really isn't.  Let's put the "modeling" back into model railroading. ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:01:05 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 10:57:58 AM »
Just take the top off the old plug door shell die and put on a different roof die, how much does that cost?

Changing the roof doesn't make it any better of a model for anything, it just gives the car the wrong roof.  :|

What you're talking about is a 100% brand new model which just puts it in line with 30-40 other cars that could be made.

Jason

Dave Schneider

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 11:28:36 AM »
Quote from: wcfn100 link=topthis ic=32624.msg369929#msg369929 date=1397314678
Changing the roof doesn't make it any better of a model for anything, it just gives the car the wrong roof.  :|

What you're talking about is a 100% brand new model which just puts it in line with 30-40 other cars that could be made.

Jason

Correct. So why is discussing/advocating for a newly tooled 40 ft plug door a bad idea?  Bryan, I understand your points about limited resources, but the same could be said every time someone brings up a wish list. I think we all get the "do some modeling" response so that is always an option. That said, I don't see anything improper about lobbying manufacturers for new models. As long as it is done in a respectful way. BTW, we could use some new 50 ft plug doors as well.  :)

Best wishes, Dave

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
New tooling scheduled to appear this year include the third PS-1 boxcar variation, two PS-3 hoppers, and an S-2 switcher, along with various track and accessory components. 

It will rock if Atlas releases a no roofwalk/short ladder version of the PS-1.  Lehigh Valley decals are available, and I am willing to paint!!!

Frank

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »
Correct. So why is discussing/advocating for a newly tooled 40 ft plug door a bad idea?

It's not.  I'm always up for a new freight car.   I was just responding to this -

Just take the top off the old plug door shell die and put on a different roof die, how much does that cost?

My only issue is the 'logic' presented in the thread.  Just because a model is old, doesn't mean it should be automatically retooled in lieu of another car.

Jason

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:14:42 PM by wcfn100 »

Spikre

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
 :?
  if a New 40' Plug door was made,what parts would be best ?
  Rivited or Welded sides ?
  8 or 10 Panel sides ?
  Murphy Panel Roof,or Stanray Diagonal Panel roof ?
  Early Improved Dreadnaught Ends,or Late Style Improved Dreadnaught Ends ?
  10',10'4",10'6" IH ?
  Despatch Ends/Roof ?
  NSC Ends/Roof?
  Youngstown Smooth Plug Door,Superior Plug Door,P-S Plug Door ?
   Reversed Youngstown Plug Door ?
   these are some of the most common Options.
   now mix and match them up for a sort of common car.
        Spikre
        ;)