Author Topic: Columbia & Western wayfreight video  (Read 1505 times)

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +813
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Columbia & Western wayfreight video
« on: April 04, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »

Hi everyone:

With the recent completion of the last major bridge on my model of CPR's Boundary sub, I thought it might be worth the effort to video document the climb up and down Farron Hill on the Columbia & Western and to capture what running a wayfreight on the mountainous C&W is like. 

I used the Looxcie HD camera to capture interesting views and its small size certainly does allow for interesting trackside and "on train" angles like head end and caboose shots.

I hope you enjoy the video...even if it does take multiple sittings!  (And thank you in advance if you do sit through it all!)

Oh, the video is shot in 480 pixel resolution so make sure your Youtube setting is set the highest level it will permit (use the little gear-like icon at the bottom of the video to set resolution).

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
Re: Columbia & Western wayfreight video
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Thank you ,that was great.What are the room dimensions?

PGE-N°2

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »
WOW! 45 minutes worth of C&W fanfare. I don't have time to view the entire thing, right now, but I will definitely check it out later.
Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-face/sets/72157603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +57
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:18:26 PM »
C&W is one of those model railroads that will achieve a degree of immortality, kinda like the D&G and Canandaigua Southern. Such an awesome layout both in concept and in execution.

But, needs some CN  ;)
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

mark dance

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:14:13 PM »
Thank you ,that was great.What are the room dimensions?

You are most welcome.  I didn't think I would enjoy photographing and videoing the layout as much as I have.  Learning new things all the time...

The layout occupies 320 square feet...16.5' x 19.5'.

md

mark dance

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:15:12 PM »
But, needs some CN  ;)

Two GMD-1's on order to complement the Pt. St. Charles cab sitting in Nelson yard. :)

md

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 05:40:37 PM »
C&W is one of those model railroads that will achieve a degree of immortality, kinda like the D&G and Canandaigua Southern. Such an awesome layout both in concept and in execution.

Whole heartedly agree - clearly one of the finest N scale layouts ever constructed and a real inspiration.  But... now that completion is in site (realizing that further details and improvements can always be added) what next?  Does the real estate acquisition department have their eyes on room for an extension to Cranbrook perhaps?

mark dance

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:02:07 PM »

Whole heartedly agree - clearly one of the finest N scale layouts ever constructed and a real inspiration.  But... now that completion is in site (realizing that further details and improvements can always be added) what next?  Does the real estate acquisition department have their eyes on room for an extension to Cranbrook perhaps?

Woooahhhh...let's not get carried away with comparisons here.  The G&D and CS (and Maumee, and V&O, and Mindheim's Miami branch, etc. etc.) broke lots and lots of new ground.  The C&W isn't pushing any envelopes that haven't been pushed before...

As to the next steps, that really is the 1M$ question so thanks for asking.  I have been pondering that as well.  The layout is in a freestanding 2 car garage so no expansion is feasible.  If I could expand I would extend the run to Grand Forks at least and then Midway but I haven't figured out how to do either. 

I do plan to start working on the pulp mill but if structure building doesn't catch my fancy - which is a distinct possibility - I am a bit at a loss as to what to do next.  Monthly operating sessions are definitely in the works so that is a good sign.  More scenery in the Slocan as well of course.  Sound is also another dimension but early under-layout experiments have not been effective...more experimentation here is required.  I might need to bite the bullet and learn how to retrofit all those locos directly (grimace).

No more articles or videos for a while that's fore sure...nothing left that I want to say.  This will be good news for the people that are saturated with C&W coverage now :).  I need to start building again first.

md
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:43:50 PM by mark dance »

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for posting this.  I had to wait to sit down and watch this, but it was worth it.  What a fantastic realization of a vision. The only thing better is to see it in person.  :)

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »
Have to ask... what is that coming out of the short hood and extending back to the cab roof?

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »
Woooahhhh...let's not get carried away with comparisons here.  The G&D and CS (and Maumee, and V&O, and Mindheim's Miami branch, etc. etc.) broke lots and lots of new ground.  The C&W isn't pushing any envelopes that haven't been pushed before...

What makes your layout qualify as "pioneering" to me is that it faithfully tackles one of the most difficult prototypes in North America, that really didn't receive the attention it was due when it was active.  In short, your layout serves as the missing historical link that allows us to experience an amazing line which very few people were able to see first hand, or even see in photographs.  The Boundary Sub had no Richard Steinheimer's, Otto Perry's, Richard Kindig's, or even Nicholas Morant's to provide the documentation it so well deserved (as far as I know).  For those of us who have been to the area but were born too late to experience it in action, and looked up on the side of the mountain above Christina Lake and thought "My God, what a spectacular piece of railroad this must have been," your layout allows us a glimpse of what we (and almost everyone else) missed and it's every bit as good as we imagined it would have been.  And even if we had been adults in the Boundary Sub's heyday, there wasn't exactly much in the way of access to many of the locations you've modeled.  Obviously modeling so many locations that weren't well photographed or accessible could have given you some modeling license in your portrayal, but given your care in recreating the locations that still exist (which I've visited many times), I choose to believe that you've just as faithfully recreated the scenes that are long gone and were not well documented.  So if that's not true please don't tell me, I'm much happier with my "new" memories of the Boundary Sub!  Well done sir!

mark dance

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »
Have to ask... what is that coming out of the short hood and extending back to the cab roof?

It is a ventilation duct which by 1970 had been fitted onto most of the CPR's Canadian Locomotive Works-built H Liners. 

I may have my history wrong but I seem to recall that when the H Liners were first delivered from CLC, their crews used to stuff newspapers and other such stuff into the ventilation louvers in the bulkhead wall between the short hood and the cabs to reduce drafts and to keep themselves warm in winter.  This practice resulted in one or more electrical fires so one of the shops (Alyth or Nelson) tested a sheet metal duct over top of the cab.  It was a relatively large, free-standing duct on unit 8618 but it proved successful.  Thereafter all the units delivered from CLC had a lower profile, "integrated" duct for this purpose which is what you see on 8715. 

Jeff Briggs assembled and painted my H Liners from Kaslo kits (which he designed and built the molds for).  These prototypes have a very special place in Jeff's heart so he researched each number he built for me and put the correct ducting (or not) on the appropriate units. Just like the prototype in the early 70's, the C&W runs H Liners in the paint scheme appropriate for what their number wore at that time: Tuscan/Grey with Block lettering; Tuscan/Grey with script and Action red.  They run beautifully and are my pride and joy.  Thx Jeff!

md

PRRATSF

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 04:36:50 AM »
Outstanding, well worth losing 45 min. sleep.
Sam

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »
Mark,
I finally got a chance to watch the video.  Your work is amazing and all the background and narration really enhanced the experience.  Thanks for sharing.
David

PGE-N°2

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
Two GMD-1's on order to complement the Pt. St. Charles cab sitting in Nelson yard. :)

md

Whowever is calling for more CN, must not have noticed the Missouri Pacific screaming eagle on the side of one hopper. There seems to be a fair number of wayfaring cars on the C&W far from their home rails.

Having CN GMD1s running around sounds like the green and gold invader trying to muscle in on the C&W territory. It seems like it's now leaning slightly more towards the freelance side of things these days, so you should get at least one NAR GMD1, too.

The video was really well appreciated, and I especially found the onboard scenes in an empty hopper car to be quite dramatic. Those shots really gave a sense of elevation, from the railway clinging to the mountainsides just like on the real Boundary sub, and being able to see the next part of the line in the distance around the next corner or mountain spur.

I did feel however that, as much as it is a part of your operating scheme, having the hand of god reaching down at some points did detract a little bit from the flow of the video.

Maybe there might be some experimental technology that will be found that could make the switching a little more 'hands off', or maybe the old school technology of a few strategically place uncoupling magnets, even removable ones, just for the sake of making videos.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:54:45 PM by PGE-N°2 »
Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-face/sets/72157603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.