Author Topic: Meet N March Portland OR 2014  (Read 1579 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +855
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Meet N March Portland OR 2014
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »
I have just returned from a fabulous N Scale weekend in Portland Oregon and wanted to share a little of the experience with you.  Portland has a vibrant N Scale community and they were wonderful hosts.  I have attended this show before and it is not a large one, but there were enough swap tables to take an hour or more to peruse, four modular layouts, and it was all N Scale!  The weekend also included visits to three superb N Scale layouts, with an opportunity to run trains or just watch them roll by. 

My weekend began with a visit to friend Dave Mac Kinnon to collect my three M-630 locomotives and discuss future DCC/lighting installations including my first sound installation.  We also visited The Hobbysmith, Portland's local hobby shop which features a friendly owner and a healthy N Scale stock. 

The following photographs are from the various layouts.  I decided to travel light as I was flying and left my big camera at home, relying instead on the iPhone.  I will keep the photographs to a minimum as this is far from my best photography and some of the layout owners have future articles planned.

On Friday evening we visited Rob Carey's DRGW Tennessee Pass layout, which has been seen in N Scale Railroading.  The upper deck represents the Tennessee Pass and the lower deck, which is seen through windows in the valance, depicts the Royal Gorge:

Lowell Smith organized a passenger special which included Rob's Rio Grande car, Lowell's SP&S car, Roy Cutler's Olympia Northern cars, and Grant Eastman's Southern Alberta Railway car:

On Saturday morning we attended the show and I ran into a few fellow Railwire members including Max.  Here are two of the N Scale modular layouts:

The second photo shows the Deschutes River modules from the Columbia Gorge NTrak group, which Dave Mac Kinnon built with Keith Schaber.  I believe they were seen in very early issues of N Scale Magazine.

Later that afternoon we visited Rick Ernest's SP&S layout which runs through several rooms of a finished basement.  The route modeled is along the north bank of the Columbia River from Vancouver, WA to Wishram.  The Goldendale branch is modelled too.  The passenger special also ran on this layout:

After dinner we went to see Keith Schaber's UP Blue Mountain Division layout, which measures 28' x 35' and is housed in a dedicated building on a rural property.  The area modelled is from Hinkle to LaGrande in eastern Oregon.  This layout takes approximately 45 minutes to run around and, like Rob's layout, is fully signalled.  The trailers in the river are from the westbound trailer hotshot run by Grant Eastman  - Keith will have to rename the east hill Grant's Pass!  :D:

It was a great weekend and I must complement all of the layout hosts and their crews who were so welcoming.  Their layouts feature some amazing work and really showcase N Scale at its best.  I highly recommend taking in this show next year if you are able to.

As Lowell Smith was heard to say throughout the weekend, "too much fun!".

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +902
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Meet N March Portland OR 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
Tim,

Thank you for posting this.   It was great to see you again.  Although I wasn't able to go to the operating sessions,
I did have a good time at the show swap meet.   As you indicated, it may seem like a small swap meet at first,
but it is all N Scale and it is all "meat" - lots of quality products.  I located some really good finds and bargains
including some custom-painted NP hoppers and a good stash of GHQ kits and other parts.  I also stopped by the RSLaserkit
table and found an soon-to-be-released factory kit that will be perfect for the industrial yard I'm building.
I've been to much bigger shows and came away finding nothing. 

Had a fine time.  I recommend this show to anyone in the area.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »
Hmm, might have to make it out to this show sometime.

Just shows seem to be lacking east of the Cascades up here.

mionerr

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »
Thanks for the memories. I used to attend regularly when I lived in the Tri-Cities, WA area. Good folks, good times.
Roger Otto
Pueblo, CO

North Bank Road

• Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for all your kind comments and photos. As a group, we all appreciate those who traveled so far away to attend our little meet. This event is not well advertised to the public and so depends on all local N scale support. We always welcome outside involvement. A lot of guys came down from the Seattle-Tacoma area to participate.

Our Portland round robin group has grown to about 30 participants (15 regulars) and at least 6-7 layouts we rotate on. Its getting bigger every day. I could not have gotten my large layout to the state its in today without all their help. Everything from electronics to scenery. There is always some aspect of the hobby we can learn from another who has more experience. After 8 years I consider all these guys good friends. We are still open to anyone who wants to participate in our group. No club rules or fees. Just show up. Our only goal is to OPERATE on quality built layouts.

Looking forward already to next year,

Sincerely, Rick Ernest

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:42:02 PM »

Our Portland round robin group has grown to about 30 participants (15 regulars) and at least 6-7 layouts we rotate on. Its getting bigger every day. I could not have gotten my large layout to the state its in today without all their help. Everything from electronics to scenery. There is always some aspect of the hobby we can learn from another who has more experience. After 8 years I consider all these guys good friends. We are still open to anyone who wants to participate in our group. No club rules or fees. Just show up. Our only goal is to OPERATE on quality built layouts.

Looking forward already to next year,

Sincerely, Rick Ernest

Rick,

You guys have some fantastic layouts in the Portland area and all the way up the I-5 corridor to Vancouver, BC for that matter.   And your round-robin group sounds like a blast and a great way to make quick layout progress!  What a great hotbed of N scale activity.   Makes me want to move back - but at least I can still escape to Oregon in my layout room.  Tell Lowell he needs to do some SP&S C636's.  I've been bugging him for a while to do a Oregon Trunk mixed combine... 

Dean Ferris