Author Topic: Oil Based / Water Based paint Compatibility  (Read 930 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Oil Based / Water Based paint Compatibility
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
Can/should oil based paint be applied over water based paint? 

Doug

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Oil Based / Water Based paint Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »

Doug

Assuming that you mean organic-solvent based paint (like Floquil) and water-based solvent acrylic paints (like PollyScale)

The simple answer is: try it on a spare part.
The more complicated answer is that it depends on the specific chemistries of both paints. Some combination will work - others wont.  There are generalizations out there in the hobby, but the bottom line is that there is no simple answer.
. . . 42 . . .

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: Oil Based / Water Based paint Compatibility
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:33:13 AM »

Doug

In other parts of the scale modeling world, applying oils and enamels over acrylics is pretty much the standard of the day. 

I'm sure there are occassions with particular combinations where you may get issues... In fact, I've had it happen myself if I'm inundating an area painted with acrylic paints with a lot of spirits:  instant lift of the acrylic paint -- I wish I could strip acrylic normally as easy as it was that time for me to do it by accident.  But, by and large, those cases are rare and it should work fine for normal applications.

Me personally -- I apply an acrylic varnish as a hard barrier between the two.   I would normally use Future floor polish, but recently was impressed with a Vallejo "Premium" varnish that's designed to be ultra-durable for RC cars in particular.
-Mark