Author Topic: What focal length do you prefer for your optivisor?  (Read 1295 times)

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
What focal length do you prefer for your optivisor?
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »
I am going to get an optivisor and they have multiple focal lengths. What is your experience with their various powers/

Thanks!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271
Re: What focal length do you prefer for your optivisor?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
I use a "5", which is 2.5X @ 8". (Nice rundown of the available magnifications on Donegan's product page: http://www.doneganoptical.com/products/optivisor.)

I personally am reluctant to go much stronger than that. I've had issues with the limited field of view when reaching for tools, etc., including near-misses grabbing the wrong end of a soldering iron and/or Xacto knives. Also, going much stronger than "5" means the work has to be really, really close to your nose, and at that point the visor itself can start knocking things over or breaking stuff if you're, say, trying to work within completed scenes. That said I may have to get a "10" (or spring for the add-on loupe) for dealing with the 0402 LEDs I've been playing with recently.

FWIW, the cheap knock-offs you'll find at the tool vendors at shows aren't worth messing with. I've tried two and they were wastes of perfectly good train money - optics were horrid. You will not regret buying the real thing.

YMMV, of course. Temper my experience with that I currently need 1.75X "cheaters" for reading or general close work.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »
Have you actually tried an Optivisor? They can induce headaches and/or eye strain for some people.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
Lately, I've been using reading glasses in the 2.5x power. 
I like them because they are lighter both in weight and that they allow more light to my eyes.
I also can keep them lowered on the bridge of my nose to look above them to avoid the things C855B mentions as pitfalls.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »
Lately, I've been using reading glasses in the 2.5x power. 
I like them because they are lighter both in weight and that they allow more light to my eyes.
I also can keep them lowered on the bridge of my nose to look above them to avoid the things C855B mentions as pitfalls.

Exactly what I do.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »
Have you actually tried an Optivisor? They can induce headaches and/or eye strain for some people.

Just me talking, but I've never had any problems with my optivisor and several different focal lengths. Right now, I have an Optivisor with the strongest lens, and an off brand magnifier with the standard lens.

Hmm... Kiz looks all bug-
eyed when he wears his
Optivisor...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »
I have several lens plates and my favorite (for several years now) has been #7.  I have used #5 in the past but I needed the extra magnification of #7. However that also decreases the working distance (if that makes a difference to you).  I also have #10 plate but that is just too strong (and puts my head too close to the work).  In the instances where I need that much (and more) magnification I just bring in my dissecting stereo-microscope.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 06:36:06 PM »
#4 has worked just fine for about 35 years.