Author Topic: Cascade Loop - N-Scale Test Layout  (Read 2132 times)

vashnar

• Respect: 0
Cascade Loop - N-Scale Test Layout
« on: March 30, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »
New to TRW - Looking for some feedback on my nearly ready to start n-scale test layout. The goal of the layout is to practice construction and scenery techniques. My current plan is to model a small train order station and a few related structures, a bridge scene with creek, a snow shed and tunnel, as well as rock work and trees (lots of trees). The layout is roughly door sized at 30x90 inches. It will live as a shelf layout for now, with focus on one side at a time so the middle will be a scenic divider to separate the halves. After a planned move next year, I may add legs, but for now it will need to remain light enough to be easily turned around to view each side as the layout sits on 24" shelf brackets. The layout lives against the wall on our four season porch, so the room has some pretty wild temperature swings here in Colorado. I'm using Unitrack for its durability and simplicity. The loop may be too simple for some, but as stated, this is a test layout and I want to keep it simple so that it can get to the scenery phase quickly.

Thanks for looking,
Brian

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
Re: Cascade Loop - N-Scale Test Layout
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
Welcome Brian.  This looks like it will be a great project and I look forward to seeing it progress.

I did something like this when I started in n scale about a decade ago.  I built a 2'X4' Tennessee Pass/Rio Grande layout and really enjoyed completing it in a reasonable amount of time and learning a lot of new techniques.

Jeff AKA St0rm

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 09:35:48 PM »
Welcome to TRW. That is the best plan to anyone who is starting in the hobby. Don't try and do to much the first time. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

R.Groff

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »
Simple is good complicated comes fast the larger you go.
Rick

SSW7771

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
I like the your layout idea. I am working on something similar, but as a shelf layout instead of a HCD. Good luck!

Marshall
Marshall

vashnar

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 04:32:16 PM »
Wow... Time flies... Kids... Wife... Work...

I've updated my plan to avoid the long straight sections parallel to the edges of the layout. I think it improves the look of the layout. I have this setup right now (minus the bridges) and it runs great. This plan also has the advantage of lengthening the siding.

Hopefully I'll be able to do some benchwork over the next few weeks and get it truly underway.

Thanks,
Brian
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:34:38 PM by vashnar »

timgill

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »
Looks good. I am building a similar style layout as a first start in HOn30, after coming from years of working in N scale. I think starting extremely simple like this is a great way to go; build skills, test scenery techniques, and then keep it as a "break in loop" for new equipment.

I really think you could go either way with the plan. Both have a certain "flow" to them. Just make sure you have some type of scenic divider in mind to break up the loop visually.
-Tim Gill
Subscribe to/Visit my Model Railraoding blog: www.marmionvalley.blogspot.com