Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/30/14  (Read 7162 times)

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
Re: Weekend Update 3/30/14
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
I was there as well. I saw your man. He brought zero N with him. There was zero N with any of the vendors.

Ralph DeBlasi was doing weathering clinics all day Saturday. He gave props to Tom Mann "of the Railwire."

I think I met Bill as well but honestly, the number of people and trying to remember their names was like drinking from a fire hose. The vendors had nothing N scale anywhere but I would say 90% of the people there were HO anyways so I can understand, but a few details for sale, like wheels, would've been nice. I attended both Ralph's clinic and first hands-on session and was really impressed. I also went to a clinic on Conrail Boxcars Sunday morning but skipped the one on Conrail Intermodal, hope that person puts their clinic up somewhere. I really dug the 2 JMRI Beyond Decoder Pro presentations by Bob Bucklew, http://www.quaker-valley.com. I operated on Bill Blackburn's Great Valley Railway on Friday and then only went to Jim Dahlberg's DL&W and Mike Rabbit's Steel Mill layout on Sunday since I needed to get back home,

Phil
- Phil

Kevin C

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 03:33:06 PM »
Pete.

The model of your ship is amazing. Well Done. Do you have a link to show the different stages of construction. I would like to build a small container ship for my layout ( Space Limited ) and would appreciate a bit of guidance.

Thanks
Kevin

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 05:04:51 PM »
BTW, my update is trees, trees, and trees for the Western Maryland.  I did one specific steep mountainside using a combination of astroturf, egg cartons, course ground turf, and Elmers spray adhesive.  A believable forest in a fraction of the time.

That and I'm running out of sedum bush armatures, so it must be spring!

Bruce

Pictures or it didn't happen...  Gotta see me some Western Maryland layout...  C'mon, man, don't hold out!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »
Pete.

The model of your ship is amazing. Well Done. Do you have a link to show the different stages of construction. I would like to build a small container ship for my layout ( Space Limited ) and would appreciate a bit of guidance.

Thanks
Kevin

Check out the Instructions pages of my website, especially http://nscaleships.com/kit-instructions/375-open-hatch-hull-construction-container-ship/. That will show you how I do it for a 375' container ship in N scale (also Z scale).

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »
Finished adding trainphone to 3 N5`s and 1 N5C
Used Bowser kits
Also decaled 2 of the N5`s(Center two in first shot)

Just finished installing train phone on a set of shark`s and E-8s, working on a trio of trainmasters and a set of C-liners now
Used Gold Metal Models antenna mounts

And decaled my 2 B60b`s and 2 BM70k`s along with installing trucks, diaphragms, and body mounting couplers.

Sorry for poor pictures I only have my iPhone and lack proper lighting and magnification! Only have an incandescent light blub for lighting! 

Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »
Hosted a visit by Eric of eric220 fame along with his lovely wife Diana.  Eric brought some of his Pennsy brass awesomeness to run on the Juniata Division:

And of course, as an official Railwire meet, bacon was had:

...and enjoyed:

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 11:16:10 PM »
In a related note, I found myself in Colorado for a ski vacation last week. I managed to find some time to slip down to visit Dr. V and the JD, and my wife and I had a great time! It was nice to discover that if a model railroad is executed well enough, the telephone lines will inevitably get in the way of the shot.  :trollface:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:21:13 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
It was nice to discover that if a model railroad is executed well enough, the telephone lines will inevitably get in the way of the shot.  :trollface:

to be honest, as i was scrolling through, i didn't notice until you mentioned it.

but yeah.  you're right.

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »
It was nice to discover that if a model railroad is executed well enough, the telephone lines will inevitably get in the way of the shot.  :trollface:

Just like real life!

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »
No modeling for me. Just running some trains at the Greenberg show in Edison, NJ.
Forked out $105 for a Kato Centram. I bought it to harvest its organs.... I mean trucks.
I foresee either Conrail 0, or utilize both trucks to make a freelance steeplecab electric.

I also bought two packs some FVM Std. 33" wheelsets and put them in some of my rolling stock.
The train ran well, with only one incident.

I did however kill two bags of Bacon Jerky. Specifically of the Oh Boy Oberto brand.
Tasty stuff, even at $6 a bag.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Bruce Bird

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 11:28:31 PM »
Pictures or it didn't happen...  Gotta see me some Western Maryland layout...  C'mon, man, don't hold out!
Lee

OK Lee, here you go....

The big, empty hillside leading out of Cumberland before:

After gluing the egg carton sections on to the astroturf:
Note: it was a nice day out so I did this in the garage.

After the ground foam is glued:

And applied to the hillside:

Total elapsed time was about 2 hours and the area covered was about 5 square feet.  Once I finish dressing up the edges I will post another pic.

Bruce

Bruce Bird

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 11:47:25 PM »
Crossing the Potomac between Hagerstown and Cumberland:

Bruce

primavw

• Crew
  • "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"
  • Respect: 0
    • Nittany and Lock Haven HCD Layout
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 12:12:10 AM »
That bridge is awesome!!!
Modeling The Dark Horse

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/gogetta2ohsc

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »
Getting ready to work on layout again by installing a new 72" radius double track curve my, new layout design will be 12' x 24' of 14" x 6' modules that sit on a shelf system to minimize space consumption and number of modules legs it is just a race track with a thin staging area on one whole side of the oval the layout is basically for run through operation the large curve is permanent but the other sections are removable so I can change scenes when I want by swapping out modules, my mainline run will be about 30' I want to focus on more detailed scenes. I also just received a custom laser cut B&O brick MOW building from Monster Model Works I sent them a CAD file I had, I must say their brick is the best I've seen. I'm currently working on drawings for custom etching through PPD for a bridge after seeing the awesome work on here I decided to go the etching route, in the past I have printed my scaled cad drawings out and hand sheared gussets which is too time consuming. I also ordered an IM B&O F7A unit to detail with BLMA details and weather to death since I model 1979  8).

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »

After gluing the egg carton sections on to the astroturf:
Note: it was a nice day out so I did this in the garage.

Now that is an idea, I like it, I like it a lot.
Regards
Tony A