Author Topic: Nittany and Lock Haven: An HCD Layout in N Scale  (Read 13648 times)

primavw

• Crew
  • "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"
  • Respect: 0
    • Nittany and Lock Haven HCD Layout
Nittany and Lock Haven: An HCD Layout in N Scale
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Well, I am new to Railwire, but not necessarily new to the hobby. My third layout is a work and progress which I began in October of 2013. I have used some of the lessons I learned and applied them to this layout.

This time, I wanted to focus on modern era coal. It was really hard to let go of the "shopping list of things" I wanted for this layout, but since I am renting a home, I decided it needed to be somewhat portable. I decided with the help of others than an HCD layout would be best for what I needed. I decided it was time for me to give code 55 a try. I had to acquire new and used Code 55 from eBay but managed to scrounge up enough for my use.

A bit of history:
So, I will be loosely basing this layout on the Nittany and Bald Eagle/Tyrone/Lock Haven Pennslyvania Coal ops. "Loosely" being the key word here. This will also allow me to run some Amtrak stuff as Tyrone has a passenger station. I will eventually take some time and paint and decal some NBER stock, but NS runs coal trains through the NBER so I won't need them right away, especially since I doubt decals will be readily accessible. Clymer has a strip mine which is loaded into rail cars by front end loader. It looks like the customer uses RJ Corman, so this gives me another prospect of Loco Detailing!!!

The track plan I am working from (not to scale of course)

The basic benchwork:

Anyway fast forward to this week. The track laying phase seems to be taking a while. The results are good though.

After cutting the basic foam base, I cut risers from foam. I decided not to go with the WS stuff since I have no grades and figured the extra scratch could be used elsewhere. Also, as I mentioned, I had to source all of the code 55. I decided to use ME code 55 for the inner siding since it is more readily available. This will also give the NBER trackage a slightly different look.

I then glued down my WS roadbed. I stenciled out my trackplan on the risers before doing so. I gave it a day or so for the liquid nails to setup. I also assembled two ME girder bridges for the crossing over the Little Juniata river. I will need to build bridge abutments and get a basic idea of how the riverbed will look before I set the bridges in. I also wired up the track and replaced any ties I had to snip off to lay my flex track. I got a simple wiring block from Radio shack in order to clean up the wiring mess a bit, but I still have to rasp out some trenches for the wiring so that it won't get snagged if/when I move the layout.

This time around, I actually enjoyed laying track. It must be because I have gained the right amount of experience for it to go smoothly. I still have a little left to do before I can call the track-laying phase done, but I did manage to run some trains tonight, and so far I have had ZERO DERAILMENTS!!!!

This is where I am as of last night.

This is the CLYMER section of the layout. The dual main's location was a bit of a selective compression on my part, but the dual sidings will be where the coal hoppers will be loaded by front end loader.

This is the future home of the bridges that will cross the Little Juniata.

Nearly completed NS 9256 showing off for the camera

A shot of the super-elevated curves. This took a few days to complete, but I used a method I found online which utilizes masking tape.

The next step will be completing the loops, and tidying everything up a bit. I will then install the scenic divider and start building the landscape out of foam. I plan on uploading a short video for you to enjoy very soon. Thanks for looking.
Modeling The Dark Horse

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/gogetta2ohsc

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
Re: Nittany and Lock Haven: An HCD Layout in N Scale
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
Great to see another layout report.  The superelevated curves look good to my eye and those are very nice locomotives- NS is growing on me.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
I like it!

Can you explain the loading/unloading setup?

primavw

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »
The coal will be loaded into gons by front end loader. Here is a shot of setup in Clymer...

I plan on scratch-building the conveyer in the background.

I have not included an unloading facility, since the coal will be going to a customer beyond the layout. I do plan on expanding the layout at some point and will be including that customer on the next one. I will most likely be the Washingtonville, Pa Coal Power Plant.
Modeling The Dark Horse

YouTube Channel:

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »
I'm confused by the switchback to get to Tyrone.  If the two tracks in Clymer are filled with hoppers for loading, then you are prevented from getting to or returning from Tyrone.  Perhaps you should add a crossover in Tyrone.  By the current plan, a crossover on the bridge over the Juniata River would be the best spot.

You could also use another crossover to get from one mainline track to the other.  As it stands now, you would have to back an entire train through the one crossover that you have when you're wrong way running (assuming NBER keeps to the right).  Also, as it stands, to run around your train, you are going to have to circumnavigate the entire layout.  A set of crossovers could fix that.

Hope this helps,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:18:03 PM »
That's a very nicely weathered black horsie, back is hard to weather but you pulled it off great.

primavw

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »
I haven't had a chance to update this recently as I have been distracted by a Loksound install. I did manage to get some more work on the layout done recently, although my work schedule has prevented me from making great strides.

I did manage to wire my turnouts to aid with better performance from my DCC locos. I will finish wiring the turnouts once I get some wired groundthrows for the frogs.

Also, in order for me to "finish" track work, I need to put some time into completing the bridges over the Little Juniata. I decided it was best to all but finish scenicking the scene so that I won't have to work around the bridges later. I managed to cast a few abutments for the girder bridges. I did this by building simple styrene forms and pouring hydrocal into the forms. While they were drying, I made some final adjustments to them to ensure the rail bridges fit snugly.

I then turned my attention to detailing them. I used this pic as a reference:

Using WS concrete stains and watered-down acrylics, I managed to get them just about right for my needs. I had to cut into the abutments a bit to get the bridge to fit snugly, but once they are in place you won't see the cuts I made.

East abutment:

West abutment:

With the bridge added:

I do plan on "rustifying" the bridge a bit to add age, and I need to fit the bridge shoes before they are permenantly in place.

And a shot with some locos for good measure:

I have been doing some research on how to create the water for the river. Hopefully I haven't painted the creekbed too green, but I have been working from this image, so I'm hoping it doesn't look too "toxic waste pond".
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:14:25 PM by primavw »
Modeling The Dark Horse

YouTube Channel:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »
I'm not digging the rocks you've got there. Take a look at the proto photos. There are a few rocks, but in that first photo, it's mostly just grass/dirt all the way down.

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +493
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
Ditto with the rocks, and it also looks like the river is a bit more brown at the edges than just straight green; I might also try to make the green just a bit darker
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
If you like the rocks keep them, theres lots of creeks/streams like that in the northeastern part of the state and even the susquehanna can look like that in the summer months

Here`s a local bridge the banks are concrete and rock

Located here
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3484907,-75.7107342,434m/data=!3m1!1e3
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 07:07:46 PM »
Love it! I've been working on designing a layout for just the same area. I think you did a great job capturing the feel in a HCD.  Like Dave, I'm wondering how to utilize the switch back to get to Tyrone if the loading tracks are full. If you feel the green in the creek bed is too green just tone is down to more brown. If anything I think error on the side of brown will yield more satisfying results.  Also try experimenting with some crushed grey shale if you have access to it, produces nice results for the area (as most streams in that area are grey shale)  Might want to throw some nice brown and rainbow trout in there too, fishing is good when waiting for the next railfan opportunity. 

Also love the shot with the CR heritage unit.

Jeff AKA St0rm

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
Are you going to be able to model the teens jumping off the bridge  :trollface:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
But those rocks are different.

I mean, it's not bad, but if you want to really nail it, add some more dirt.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »
If you want some finer textures (approaching compacted dirt / silt / mud) try some grout.
Either layer it over what you have or mix it in with the dirt.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 07:34:23 AM »
I'd agree re: the paint and try for more browning against the green, in my mind I'd go with colours that'd yield something approaching strong tea so an ochre mixed with something like a raw sienna/umber tone to 'brown' it without using brown-brown, but a yellow-brown/orange-brown if I make sense, you could use varnish as your river water and that would contrast the green to the right tone at the right angles IMO.
Regards
Tony A