Author Topic: Installing Decoders in Atlas Engines (Semi-Rant)  (Read 3449 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Installing Decoders in Atlas Engines (Semi-Rant)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 05:09:40 AM »
The issue with the 6 pin decoders is that they only have 2 functions.  For some it is fine, but for those that want more than just front and rear head light, going to need something with a few more functions.

But even the replacement light board decoders only have 2 functions utilized (headlights). If one wants to use additional function, those wires must be soldered to the pads on the decoder (which is no longer as easy as plug-n-play).  The 6-pin plug decoders could also have additional pads on them for more functions. DZ125 already has 2 such pads - but those would have to be enabled by Digitrax (making it a DZ145 decoder).

Reinhardtjh:  I don't agree with Matt Herman's assessment of limitations in the narrow hood diesels.  There is plenty of room in the fuel tank for a larger speaker. Plus, there are speakers out there which can fit in narrow hoods.  Give us a small and narrow sound decoder and wi will find a way to install it in narrow-hood locos.  :D

. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 07:17:13 AM »
Reinhardtjh:  I don't agree with Matt Herman's assessment of limitations in the narrow hood diesels.  There is plenty of room in the fuel tank for a larger speaker. Plus, there are speakers out there which can fit in narrow hoods.  Give us a small and narrow sound decoder and wi will find a way to install it in narrow-hood locos.  :D

I don't either.  Mr. Herman hadn't heard/seen JDColombo's work with the Knowles Fox and the Star Micronics SCP-08a speakers at that point in time.  Hopefully he can convince the powers that be in Germany to produce a 9.5mm or narrower width sound decoder for general use.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 09:26:55 AM »
Companies spend their money making goods that appeal to the largest market segment. The installations you cite are not within the abilities of most modelers. Yeah, they can make the smaller decoder, but ROI will be the factor and odds are they just won't sell enough at this juncture until someone markets speaker kits aimed at specific installations. Remember, you are the 1% (or probably less in this case)

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
Ive tried to "Colombo-ize" a few Katos so far, seems it might be easier to stretch the board out just a bit, and not putting anything in the areas that would be right above the square motor mount that limit the clearance between the top of the frame and the bottom of the shell.  Since most of the motors seem to be about the same length, this might be a viable approach for road units at least.  I may end up trying the speaker in the fuel tank, but on the Milwaukee SD40-2's, Ive already had to hack off the front of the fuel tank to make it the correct size, and would rather leave a little weight down there.  Anyone have problems with the tank mounted speakers picking up magnetic debris or being affected by MTL uncouplers?
Rick

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »
I've been trying for YEARS to get a DCC chip inside an atlas mp15 with no luck.  I tried hard-wiring the smallest decoder I could but it wouldn't fit in the frame.  Then I sent it off to get someone to install one and instead he stole the decoder and I had to fight to even get my loco back.  Then I bought a Z scale decoder that said it was smaller but in fact turned out bigger than my previous chip.   Then I caved and bought the drop-in decoder but by this point the motor contacts were ruined from so many bad attempts at soldering, but atlas graciously sent me a new motor!  The new motor won't make contact with the drop-in decoders contacts though because they seem bent a bit the wrong way and after hours of attempting I can't fix it.

This has been known as my "cursed" loco.  I've put in more money than just buying a brand new one but I keep working on it for some reason.

I only buy locos that have DCC pre-installed now.  It's not worth it.  I've only got a 50% success rate installing decoders and now I have essentially a junked mp15 and 2 kato RDC's.

woodchip

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 11:41:49 PM »
It'd be great if Atlas would change the DC board to one that includes a receptacle for a plug in decoder. The problems I've encountered have all been easily fixed . The contact strips can be adjusted to hit the proper spots on the decoder and the newer decoders have slots to guide the strips,they can be a pain but no more than peco rail joiners. The C420 for some reason unknown to me has a clip-on shim on each corner where the board goes into the frame that had to be transferred to the DCC board. The worst install I had was the Atlas MP15 due to the style of motor mount and it took a few tries to get the motor in place but after that it went smoothly. I've converted most of my locos and would recommend DCC as a worthy investment .

Thats all for now  HM

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »
Yeah, the MP15 has given me grief as well. It took a while but I finally got it to work properly.