Author Topic: On the bench  (Read 647 times)

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
On the bench
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »
There are about five N scale kits in various stages of completion in my designing little world and one of these days I'm going to drop them all on here at once. But for now I'm going to share a sneak peek at one of them that is very close to being ready. We had produced and sold many of the Matchless Mine kits in Z scale so its time to bring it to N. Anything brought up from Z to N means adding a lot more details and for this kit that was no easy task since the Z scale version was heavy with details.

One question I have for you guys is this; in the Z version everything was sold together. For N scale I've pretty much decided to sell them individually assuming some structures would be more desirable than others for re-purposing into something other than an old mine. Any thoughts on this?

All of the structures have been drawn but not beta tested. However the ore carts and track have been.  Below you'll see the track has not been painted, the ore cart is painted silver primer but not rusted up, and its a bit bigger than the actual ore carts at the real Matchless. The rails are approximately .22" apart which is darn near Nn3, and since I have 48 of these little buggers sitting here they are going to have to do.

Also, by going up in scale many of the challenges I faced in making everything for 1:220 are alleviated by doing them in 1:160.

There are some modern items coming up as well. This is fun, opened a whole new world for me to play in.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Partying like it's still 1944
  • Respect: +193
Re: On the bench
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 06:50:33 AM »
I like the mining track. I'd be interested in it just as a detail item for adding to backscenes and such.
Cody W Fisher - Modeler of the PRR, PRSL, GWR, SZD, and DRG

WWII Clerk/Administration Historian

Switchboard Technician - 33rd Signal Construction Battalion (reenacted)

Squadron Clerk - Capital Wing, Airmans Preservation Society

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1220
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 07:01:19 AM »
I dig all of them and I like the idea of separating them for repurposing.  VonRyan has a great idea there with the track.  What is the timing, specific offering and related pricepoint list?

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +120
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the finished kits when they're available.  Also, I would definitely be in the market for some ore cars and mining track!  Looks great.
David

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »
Why not sell complete kits plus the items seperately,that way you all the bases covered. :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made