Author Topic: Three Z Scale Towboats Now Available For Order  (Read 2445 times)

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
Three Z Scale Towboats Now Available For Order
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:02:27 PM »
80′ US River Sytem Towboat

This 80′ by 30′ towboat is a faithful model of many of the medium-size and -power towboats in the US. The design is drawn from many photos of actual boats, and can be easily modified to represent any of a class of towboat that served from pre WWII to today.

Powered by twin diesels often derived from locomotive engines, supplying about 2000 hp, these boats can be seen along the entire length of the Mississippi River system.  It is the median size of towboats on the system: half are longer and half are shorter.
While a small gem, the model has all the features and details of the bigger towboats such as custom railings and stairways, precision cut styrene parts that allow interior views, and all the small precise details that N Scale Ships has become known for.

This small gem is a perfect complement to the 195′ Standard River Barges and their covers. They are often seen on the vast Mississippi River system pushing one to six barges, depending on current, or handling barges between docking facilities and their final destinations.
Precisely cut styrene and the boxy style make them easier to construct than ocean-going ships, and are an ideal introduction to building ships. Shipped in a flat envelope for economy.
Specifications
80′ long x 30′ beam = 4.5″ x 1.75″ or 115 mm x 43 mm
River Clearance 41.25′ = 2.25″ or 60 mm
Price
Kit: US $69. plus shipping.           Built-up: Inquire

110′ US River System Towboat

This 110′ by 34′ towboat represents the smaller end of the short- and medium-line haul towboats in the US. The design is drawn from many photos of actual boats by various manufacturers, and can be easily modified to represent any of a class of towboat that served from pre WWII to today.

Powered by twin diesels often derived from locomotive engines, supplying about 3000 hp, these boats can be seen along the entire length of the Mississippi River system.  It is at the smaller end of towboats that can handle a 15-barge lashup on the upper Mississippi river system, and had crew accommodations for a small, short-term crew.
The model has all the features and details of the bigger towboats such as custom railings and stairways, precision cut styrene parts that allow interior views, and all the small precise details that N Scale Ships has become known for.

This medium-sized towboat is a perfect complement to the 195′ Standard River Barges and their covers. They are often seen on the vast Mississippi River system pushing one to a full lashup of fifteen barges, depending on current, or handling barges between docking facilities and their final destinations.
Precisely cut styrene and the boxy style make them easier to construct than ocean-going ships, and are an ideal introduction to building ships. Shipped in a flat envelope for economy.
Specifications
110′ long x 34′ beam = 6.25″ x 1.9″ or 156 mm x 48 mm
River Clearance 41.25′ = 2.25″ or 60 mm
Price
Kit: US $85. plus shipping.           Built-up: Inquire

145′ US River Towboat

This 145′ by 48′ towboat represents the heyday of the long haul line towboats in the US. The design is drawn from many photos of actual boats by various manufacturers, but is principally based on the famous Jeffboats, and can be easily modified to represent any of a class of towboat that served from pre WWII to today. The larger towboats have from about 6000 HP from twin diesels and screws to about 11000 HP from triple or quad diesels and screws.

These towboats can be seen along the entire length of the Mississippi River system.  They often feature crew accommodations that are modern and luxurious. Many of them serve (and are owned by) US power companies such as AEP, which has an extensive network of coal-fired power plants along US rivers..
The model has all the features and details such as custom railings and stairways, precision cut styrene parts that allow interior views, and all the small precise details that N Scale Ships has become known for. There is plenty of deck space to add your own details to personalize your model.

This large towboat is a perfect complement to the 195′ Standard River Barges and their covers. They are often seen on the upper Mississippi River system pushing full lashups of fifteen barges, depending on current, or on the lower Mississippi handling even larger lashups..
Specifications
145′ long x 48′ beam =8.125″ x 2.625″ or 252 mm x 67 mm
River Clearance 50.4′ = 2.75″ or 70 mm
Price
Kit: US $99. plus shipping.           Built-up: Inquire

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
Re: Three Z Scale Towboats Now Available For Order
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:27:06 PM »
OK, absolutely no interest in these. Nor the barges. Nor the barge covers. Should I continue offering Z scale products for the inland riverways? A number of folks recommended that I offer these in N and Z scale. I'm thinking of withdrawing the kits, as there have been no orders, and assembling stock for the kits is not economical.

Did I misjudge the market here? Is there something wrong with the kits?

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »
I used to produce my own ship line  JAG Collective doing 1/700 and 1/350 scale models when I lived in Florida and it was for a market that wants to build something.  N and to some respect the Z market is pretty focused on RTR...or just something you have to slap some paint on to install it on a layout.  A few years ago I produced a harbor tug http://www.thenarch.com/products/diesel-tug-boat-kit-z  and a small punt for logging and sold a ton of them before the Z market crashed with the economy in 08...I ended up selling the patterns to N Scale Architect who currently sells them.  Don't give up, the guys on this site are finicky (understatment), tend to do transition era and I would not gauge the response here to the overall popularity of any product.  I have a few ship projects I have been wanting to do, not sure too many Asshats would be interested in them though.  If you can't slap a Conrail logo on the side, don't bother    :D

Good luck! 
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »
Jim, thanks for the perspective, and humor! The big Z ships are doing very well. I was led to smaller ships "by popular demand." In the future I'll listen to popular demand, but not necessarily act upon it. So far there's been more demand for 730' Lakers than 80' Towboats. That alone says a lot about the market. Those who can afford big layouts and big brass steamers can afford big ships for a harbor scene. I see your tug ex-product at $19, or about 1/3rd of my smallest offering. I think the two offerings are in a different class, but who knows?