Author Topic: Free-moNebraska  (Read 97269 times)

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Free-moNebraska
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2015, 12:40:18 PM »
I don't know about MC and others, but I have found it's useful to taper the rail head on angled joints so that rail head to rail head is more square. 

As far as maintenance over time, re-alignment is just part of the game.  Ya can't be afraid to strip and re-ballast a few inches of track if it means perfect alignment.  I know MC has done this a few times to fix dips caused by difference in height of plastic and PC Board ties.
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2015, 12:11:29 AM »
Final To Do:
1. Solder 22 Power Poles
2. Screw in 16 Leg Levers
3. ROCK THE GREAT TRAIN EXPO!!

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2015, 10:11:56 PM »
WHEW!! Set-up is exhausting!

Can't wait to have some major fun tomorrow!!

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2015, 08:36:42 PM »
WHEW!! Set-up is exhausting!

Can't wait to have some major fun tomorrow!!

It certainly is, Mark. One of the hardest parts of the show.

Rick
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2015, 11:29:54 PM »
How was the show, Mark? Pictures?

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2015, 11:39:02 PM »
Had an amazing debut at the Great Train Show in Council Bluffs!  Unfortunately I didn't get any other photos than these, and few videos after.  I'll make a full show report after some rest.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2015, 11:44:08 PM »
[Prob better to stick this here]

Looks like a great set up, Mark!
How the trains run?

Do you need a short clamp-on tail for that industrial module or do locos have enough space to runaround?
(And did you use a drone for those shots? Or just climb up into the rafters?)
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2015, 11:53:54 PM »
Trains ran practically flawless!  In fact, we were so busy running back and forth between the loops and the passing sidings flipping switches to keep the trains in constant motion, we didn't get a chance to use the industrial spur at all, except to load and off-load trains...  Need to get that staging yard built!   

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »
Love the layout, Mark!  Looks like it will continue to grow, and congratulations on "near flawless" running. That is one of the most amazing things I find with SV FreeMoN, we actually run smoother than I do at home, at times.

So, how many folks contributed to the layout?

Rick
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
Hey Rick!  Welcome to the railwire.

Well, as long as no one plans to have an intervention for my addiction....  of the 26 modules set up, 22 of them are mine.  8)

The four with unpainted fascia are Allen's, and Quinn has one more getting track laid, hopefully in time for the February show in 4 weeks, giving us 27 total between 4 operators, including my father who was an invaluable help, both in use of tools/workshop/construction, and in set up and operation at the show.

This show, we had 2 trains constantly running with a third in staging that we alternated every so often.  The blade train ran almost the entire duration both days, and was a huge crowd favorite!  It turns out, they were hauling several blades down the highway both days, so nearly everyone commented that they just those on the way to the show.  Though one lady made the comment "That's cute, but they actually use trailers not trains."  :facepalm:

During setup, I think every other modular group stopped by and asked "What the heck are those leg things and where can I get them!" (talking about the Titus Leg Levers)  Got me thinking, maybe we should become a distributor and earn some quick petty cash for the group!

The only disappointment for me was that, in showing off my speaker plug powered turntable, I snapped off gallows.  However, on the bright side, I realized I never did put in the tension cables, so that will give me an excuse to repair and actually finish it. (yep, my cup is half full)

Only two incidents of "the child grab", one knocked the FEF off the track, the other got a hold of a turbine blade.  Neither caused any damage though.  Other than that, and aside from the folks who just have no respect in the first place, that orange tape on the ground actually served quite well.  Nonetheless, we'll be making a plastic chain barrier before the next show.  For me, it's mostly to ease the paranoia of how easily someone can sneak off with a bit of inventory.  Putting some distance, especially around the yard/staging areas should work well enough for that. 

Ok, lunch break over, more show updates after work.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »
Hey Rick!  Welcome to the railwire.

Thanks - figured I might as well sign up over here, based on how much you, MC and others seem to post here.

Well, as long as no one plans to have an intervention for my addiction....  of the 26 modules set up, 22 of them are mine.  8)

Tell me about it! After MC's unloading of Effet and some 45s on me, I will now be lugging 14 modules/sections to shows. With the exception of the unfinished "mirrors" for the inset/wye, no room for anything new from me.  Guess it means I need to get back to focusing on the JACALAR layout.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2015, 01:36:23 AM »

The four with unpainted fascia are Allen's, and Quinn has one more getting track laid, hopefully in time for the February show in 4 weeks, giving us 27 total between 4 operators, including my father who was an invaluable help, both in use of tools/workshop/construction, and in set up and operation at the show.

Hey Mark,
Where are you setting up in 4 weeks?? I got too busy and didn't make it up to Omaha and so if things work out, I'll come see you then.

Rodney
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
The February show is in Lincoln at the Lancaster Event Center.  (Their website seems to be down right now, so here's their Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/357490757708854)

And with show one now in the books, it's time to begin preparations for the Lincoln show.

Tonight I began improvements to the small "in-betweeners" that were crudely converted from the original all-foam board modules I built back in San Francisco.

For the small curve, I was never satisfied with the butt ends with PC board ties fixed to cork.  The rail happens to be just short of flush as well.  Since the ballast is pretty solid right up to the PC boards, I decided to fix new end boards, which I can mount wooden roadbed for PC board ties. 

The Ess will get similar improvements, but first I needed to reinforce the fascia along the sides.  I've found that Great Stuff expanding foam works excellent for gluing the foam to the framework, which is what I used on the new loop also.

Once the new butt ends are finished, these will get a fresh cover of scenery.

casmmr

• Crew
  • It is a Hobby
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »
your modules look very nice.  The entire layout is one I would like to see in person, but, being in Central Ohio, not very possible.  Nice job and enjoy the hobby.  one question, is that Coryville behind you?  If it is, John and Becky are 2 of the nicest people you could ever want to meet.  later, Craig

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »
Yes, that's Coryville.  I got to chat with Becky briefly when purchasing two BNSF SD70ACe's.  Definitely great people.

Finally have the video from the show put together.