Author Topic: Tumangang to Pyongyang via Free-MoN  (Read 1005 times)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
Tumangang to Pyongyang via Free-MoN
« on: April 26, 2021, 02:50:52 AM »
+3
So with rolling stock on the way from Hong Kong and my DF4B away being repainted into KSR livery, it’s time to try and get myself back into the modeling groove again.

For some unknown reason I’ve long thought it would be neat to model the DPRK.
Now, it’s possible to do just that.

Rather than build a whole layout, the idea is just to build a set of two or three Free-MoN modules depicting a section of the route between Tumangang and Pyongyang.

The era is 2008. Around that time there had been some serious flooding in North Korea which caused issues with a lot of the hydroelectric power plants, which meant that were was an increasing number of diesel-hauled trains, and the DPRK was purchasing more second-hand locomotives from China and parts of Europe to still have enough motive power on hand to keep things moving. This will allow me to model the overhead catenary without having to model any of the KSR’s unique electrics just yet.

With the weather being nice these days, I’ll soon be emptying the section of my basement that is underneath the studio, so I’ll then have the space to construct such modules.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Tumangang to Pyongyang via Free-MoN
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »
Do you have some reference photos of the scenery you'll be modeling?  I'll be fascinated to see what you have in mind.  I'm completely unfamiliar with the topography. 
I assume it's pretty rugged?
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
Re: Tumangang to Pyongyang via Free-MoN
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 09:35:17 PM »
+2
Do you have some reference photos of the scenery you'll be modeling?  I'll be fascinated to see what you have in mind.  I'm completely unfamiliar with the topography. 
I assume it's pretty rugged?
Lee

This image here of a KSR K62 (their term for what is more commonly known as an M62) also happens to show the relative landscape I’ll be modeling.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I’m actually in the middle of studying the whole route between Tumangang and Pyongyang with google maps, marking out potential locations for what I might actually build. The plan is basically to model an uncompressed portion of the line on somewhere between 12 and 15 feet of modules. 
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.