Author Topic: Free-moNebraska  (Read 97343 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Free-moNebraska
« Reply #240 on: September 30, 2017, 11:56:04 PM »
I like hoe you positioned the module break dead center of the yard. Makes it much easier to stretch it out later for more switching or longer train storage.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #241 on: October 01, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
Mark, you may have mentioned this previously, but how do you store your modules at home?   Do you somehow stack them or have shelves or ??
Basement, bedroom, living room, kitchen... 8)
Actually no, just the basement.  Each individual section has a mirror opposite which is flipped and sandwiched together for transport/storage, so the whole layout compacts nicely into just a corner of the laundry room.
Here's from the early days, modules packed and stacked in the garage, ready for one of our first shows.

I like hoe you positioned the module break dead center of the yard. Makes it much easier to stretch it out later for more switching or longer train storage.

Thanks, that was the plan from the beginning, but I didn't want to spend resources all at once and delay the initial use.  We've now been using the base yard for about a year and a half, and I've been able to wrap-up a few other projects in between. 

I'll also point out, the tail sections are also designed to be fluid.  There's a curved 3 track lead extension that can be flipped, or even moved and placed between the wye and east end of the yard. Similarly the 3 to 2 track West O underpass can be connected directly to the wye, but that means we'd loose the yard, so that arraignment will never happen. 
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #242 on: October 01, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »
+1
I like how you've flipped them so the bottoms are out. Most stacking solutions I've seen face the top to bottom which requires some sort of top solution.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #243 on: October 01, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »
The real trick on these modules is not the storage -- it is loading the car for the ride from home to the train show!  That becomes an interesting exercise - you need an expert load master.

Mark - one thing I have done, which has worked wonders, for storage and transport is placing external panels on the sides of the modules.  Keeps items (and hands, and cats) from getting into the scenery.  Used the 1/8" thick KOMATEX foamed PVC sheets from Tap Plastics. Velcro tabs hold them in place
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #244 on: October 01, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
The real trick on these modules is not the storage -- it is loading the car for the ride from home to the train show!  That becomes an interesting exercise - you need an expert load master. ...

Tetris!  :D

I solved this problem by buying a "pre-loved" box truck. It's not particularly perty, but OTOH it wasn't all that expensive versus the total investment in tiny trains. It's just another tool. Since it doesn't quite fit in the toolbox, fortunately I have a place to park it that doesn't upset the neighbors.

I know of many module groups that have a dedicated trailer. I've noticed many have the bad habit of leaving the layout in the trailer, however, where it's subject to weather and theft. It also has the parking issue.

tefsom85

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #245 on: October 01, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
Thanks for the visual.  If I ever get off my backside, my initial modelling is going to need to be modules which I will need to store in my garage.     One of the issues with this would be dust, but your solution would allow the 2 sections to be easily covered and kept dust free.  Great idea.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #246 on: October 01, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
+1
Since I was pulling the modules out of the storage space, to get ready for show (Central Calif Rail Fair) in two weeks, this phot shows the panels I described above
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2017, 12:07:50 AM »
Nice Rick!  I always thought side panels would be a great idea, but with all my other projects I never been close to actually making any.  Bark and Meow aren't allowed downstairs though anyway, so it hasn't been a high priority in that regard. 
On the same topic of hand holds, I picked up this technique from Paul Witty of Minnesota.  It makes both carrying and packing/unpacking so much easier and faster!  Only one bolt to unscrew vs 8. 

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2017, 01:01:22 AM »
Interesting! How well does that work for non-parallel end plates?
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2017, 10:58:55 PM »
+2
Interesting! How well does that work for non-parallel end plates?

Sorry, missed this one.  Have not upgraded to the threaded rod on any of the actual curves yet.  I have 2 pair of 60 degree curves that I plan on trying next.  Instead of a plain flat sandwich plate, I'll probably add a lip for the outside edge to help apply even pressure and keep the modules from 'squeezing out' when the rod is tightened.

The four new yard and lead extension modules are now ready for the Beatrice Model Train show here in Nebraska next weekend.
We'll get a base coat of paint to cover up the pink, and may even get some ballast in the yard before Friday.

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2017, 12:37:35 AM »
+1
We're operational for the Beatrice Model Train Show this weekend!  A few cosmetic things to wrap up in the morning (skirts and buildings and such), then we finally get to operate the new yard and lead extension modules! (shown below with white fascia)

Unloading mess.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #251 on: October 21, 2017, 01:35:03 AM »

Mark, that looks like a miniature. 'Cept it can't be. Right?

Love those old small-school gyms/auditoriums! This one looks really small. There was one in my area that was so small, the basketball court had two 10-second (midcourt) lines. The free-throw circles overlapped the midcourt circle.

Are you by chance going to be up at Canterbury Park in Shakopee next month?

Jim

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2017, 11:42:39 PM »
+4
Let's see if this image works...

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2017, 01:48:09 AM »
Nice, posting a .gif to get a little video action in there. Good for the quick "look at this run" shot. Use YT for the close up 4k video

Jbub
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #254 on: November 10, 2017, 12:08:14 PM »
+2
Caught some 737s heading West.

Made a bunch of new signs for the layout this week.