Author Topic: What to do with Kato CB&Q F3's? A-B-A set.  (Read 3508 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
What to do with Kato CB&Q F3's? A-B-A set.
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:26:10 AM »
When announced, I ordered the Kato CZ set. I thought cool train. It was a poor impulse buy, as it did not fit my layout, or modeling interests. I sold the passenger cars to an appreciative fellow from Atlas Forum. I wanted to hold onto locos, as the bodies have nice detail, and mechs are great. I could use the $ if I got a decent price, as I believe these might be a bit rare now. No way $150 get's them. But not offering for sale through here. Do any other shells fit these mechs? Or should I re-paint into some Northeast RR scheme. Or do a fantasy scheme? What to do, what to do?
 Joe D

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: What to do with Kato CB&Q F3's? A-B-A set.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:34:03 AM »
Because of the passenger pilot and no dynamic brakes, the most bang for your buck could be repainting them into the CB&Q Greyback scheme that they got after getting regeared and put into freight service.

I don't know that I've seen this done yet, but I haven't exactly been looking either.

Jason

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:42:09 AM »
But I don't model the CB&Q. Not the best repainter for hairy schemes either.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:09:21 AM »
Repaint to Norther Pacific Freight Pine tree.

[/thread]
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:15:09 AM »
Repaint to Norther Pacific Freight Pine tree.

[/thread]

Wrong pilot for the NP.

As far as those locos go, I bought a set of them for something like $39 each, new!  I think from Toy Train Heaven.  I suspect there were lots of them made, so I doubt they are rare.  You could always check eBay to see how many are currently listed.
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:20:49 AM »
But I don't model the CB&Q. Not the best repainter for hairy schemes either.

Well the shells aren't going to lend themselves to too many roads, maybe PRR?  I was just speculating that a set of Greybacks with this particular shell could generate interest since I haven't seen them done.

And I'm not sure what you mean by 'hairy',  it's one color.

Jason

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
CNJ Green!!!

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »
Not at a bad idea Lou.

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
 Joe,a few of the later paint jobs didn't even have stripes,they were just green..

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 01:15:25 AM »
What year do you model?  Could you "patch" them for your road, as second-hand units?  That wouldn't require more than some dry transfer initials and numbers, and a bit of paint to cover the existing name and numbers.

I was going to suggest painting them BN green (easy) and then patching them, but the Q's F3s apparently never made it to the BN.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:44:27 AM »
Hey, we all make impulse buys on occasion.   Sometimes you just gotta admit the goof and move on.   Sell it and don't look back...you'll spend more time, energy, and (more) money trying to cram the square peg in the round hole than it's worth.   Just my opinion.

If you insist, I think they greyback is a good choice.   And the scheme couldn't be simpler...not sure where "hairy" came from.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

fifer

• Crew
  • Albuquerque Canuel & Tijeras RR
  • Respect: +60
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 11:03:06 AM »
Or you could do this.

MIke
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
 When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
 I wrote ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
 -- John Lennon

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
Hey, we all make impulse buys on occasion.   Sometimes you just gotta admit the goof and move on.   Sell it and don't look back...you'll spend more time, energy, and (more) money trying to cram the square peg in the round hole than it's worth.   Just my opinion.

If you insist, I think they greyback is a good choice.   And the scheme couldn't be simpler...not sure where "hairy" came from.
Hairy comment came from me not understanding the grayback scheme would be mostly decals. My bad.
 Maybe I'll just put them up on the Bay, as I could use the $ for heat bill this winter!
 Joe D

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 04:39:09 PM »
Hairy comment came from me not understanding the grayback scheme would be mostly decals. My bad.

Oh ok, makes sense.  Although, mostly decals doesn't necessarily make it "not hairy" either. (thinking MKT stripes...  :scared: )   But I think the greyback scheme wouldn't be too bad although admittedly I've never decaled any type of F-unit.

Maybe I'll just put them up on the Bay, as I could use the $ for heat bill this winter!

Well, that's no fun!  I didn't mean be THAT conservative...   :trollface:
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 05:35:34 PM »
Maybe I'll do a LIRR fantasy scheme, grey and orange. Don't think NH had any?
 Joe D