Author Topic: 1st Generation (Plastic Frame) LL GP18 Shell Removal?  (Read 1040 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +828
1st Generation (Plastic Frame) LL GP18 Shell Removal?
« on: February 17, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »
Seriously......what the heck do you have to do to get the shell off one of these things?? :x Found some old post elsewhere that talk about prying at the ends with a small screwdriver but I can't find anywhere to gain a purchase. Everything else I've tried seems to be on the verge of breaking something. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

...On the bright side, the shell detail on this is amazing for it's age and it runs smooth as silk. Heavy too....like the Kato GP50. Probably another stump-puller like my other earlier LL locos (don't know yet...have to convert the Rapido couplers first).

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:15:16 PM by tehachapifan »

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
Re: 1st Generation (Plastic Frame) LL GP18 Shell Removal?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »
Hi,

I don't know if the LL GP18 is put on the same way as the LL SD7/SD9 (but it may be). 

Here's my documentation on removing the shell off the LL SD7/SD9:

http://www.pbase.com/atsf_arizona/lifelike_n_sd7_shell_removal__renumbering

Maybe that will apply to your LL GP18 as well?  Let us know, hope this helps.
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:42:59 PM »
Thanks, John. I looked for the shell retaining tabs under the trucks but didn't see any. the closest thing I see is what might be a retainer tab at each end in the very middle underneath the couplers. Maybe I need to remove the cab, as you suggested, so the hoods can be moved back enough for the tabs will unlatch from the walkway.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1209
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
There are four tabs, two at each end that hold the shell on. You can get the shell off in one piece but it may be easier to take it apart.

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 04:27:23 PM »
Thanks. I'm pretty convinced this shell or cab is never coming off. Everything I've tried resulted in some form of damage from prying etc. Looks like another parts bin queen.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:29:31 PM by tehachapifan »

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1209
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »
The tabs really just hold the walkway, there are other, weaker, tabs that hold the shell to the walkway. Try holding the fuel tank and pulling the shell straight off.

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
Tried that several times along with prying with a screwdriver. I can get the middle of the frame to warp downward significantly, to the point something is about to break, but the ends won't release or even budge. Damage so far is marring everywhere I've pried, including a nasty chunk out of the bottom of the cab, and a broken handrail where I tried to pry the shell off the walkway from the end.

I have a TON of experience taking off N scale shells but this thing takes the cake!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:51:12 PM by tehachapifan »

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »
...OK, thought I had it but nope. I discovered on closer inspection that the lugs attaching the shell to the walkway at the ends appeared to be glued to the walkway...either at the factory or by a previous owner. I figured this probably meant the glue was also holding the frame in as well, so  gave one last try with a big pry and I got the ends of the frame to finally snap free. Thinking I was golden I was surprised when I still couldn't get the shell all the way off. Turns out the forward weight is still stuck in the short hood, which is not letting me lift the shell the rest of the way off, probably due to wires, etc. I'm guessing it probably got glued too. If I can't get the weight out, which I probably can't as I can't get in there with anything, this will become my first painting and decal attempt on a fully-assembled model.  :facepalm:

On the bright side, one of the reasons I wanted to take the shell off was that it, along with the walkway, was pushed too far down at the rear with a very pronounced droop (as in, the frame was pushed too far into the shell at the rear). I wasn't able to fix this until I snapped it free of the glue and now it's positioned correctly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:25:14 PM by tehachapifan »

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +246
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
As you have figured out, there are four tabs that hold the body to the walkway. One each on front and rear and one each on each side of the long hood. They are glued. Best to remove the side handrails first. The dynamic blister or non dynamic piece snaps out which allows for a place to apply pressure directly to the chassis. I work the four tabs on the body free from the walkway. Once that is done, work the cab off. It snaps into the battery boxes with two tabs on each side. The nose, and long hood should come freely once the cab is loose. The battery boxes have pegs that hold the to the walkway. Once the body is off, the walkway should come off easily. The good news is that once you get them apart, they go back together and come back apart rather easily.

I have a few of the MTL pilots if you need them. They take MTL 2004 couplers. PM me if interested.

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Thanks! Gonna give it a rest for now. Seems the frame is not wanting to come out again for some reason. I will try what you suggest at some point but I'm still not sure how the shell will come off the walkway if it's glued at the end lugs. I guess the attachment lugs have to be broken off?