Author Topic: N-Scale Walthers/Life-Like RS-2 and TCS Install  (Read 1285 times)

kelleywpns

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
N-Scale Walthers/Life-Like RS-2 and TCS Install
« on: February 07, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »
All

I've got two of the Walthers/Life-Like RS-2 DCC Ready locos and attempted to install TCS K2D4 decoders in them.  1st install went fine.

The second one I'm having problems with .  I've got the Kapton tape exactly where I did on the first (used their website as a guide)and slid the decoder in.  I've got light control forwards and backwards with no issue, but the engine constantly runs at one speed and does not respond to any motion controls (it will only run forward, won't take a speed input .. to include the emergency stop or directional change command).

I've got a small piece of foam attached to either end of my test track, so while it safely kept running against the foam is when i realized that the light controls did function.

I contacted TCS and they replied back that there is a short somewhere in the engine itself.  I couldn't find any.  When I put the original (DC) board back in, it runs fine.  Any suggestions where I may find the short?

Thanks
Mike
Modeling the New Haven and Boston & Maine

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
Re: N-Scale Walthers/Life-Like RS-2 and TCS Install
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
I've done two of these installs, so I know how painful my suggestion will be for you because of taking the shells off. How about swapping the two decoders to see if the problem stays with the original loco or follows the decoder board?  This will isolate your problem.  (It won't fix it, but might suggest what to do next.)

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

kelleywpns

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:06:35 PM »
Ron

Thanks for the suggestion.  I actually tried this already with the same or similar result.

Mike

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
Ron

Thanks for the suggestion.  I actually tried this already with the same or similar result.

Mike

So, the problem follows the decoder (to another working locomotive)?  That pretty much pinpoints the problem.
. . . 42 . . .

kelleywpns

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:59:01 PM »
That was my logic as well; however, TCS is telling me to locate the short in the locomotive.

Just curious if anyone had a similar experience.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »
I think that if you would now inform TCS of your latest test, they would have to concede that the locomotive in question does not have a short.  I don't think that your original exchange with TCS included this very important additional troubleshooting step.
. . . 42 . . .