Author Topic: Steam sound decoders  (Read 1353 times)

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1209
Steam sound decoders
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
I'm about to install sound decoders in a bunch of HO brass steam engines. I'm looking for advice on which decoders to use. I keep hearing great things about ESU but I'm not sure any of their sound files are appropriate. I have a 0-6-0, two 2-6-0s and two 4-6-0s to do.

Thank
Gareth

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Steam sound decoders
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:25:41 PM »
For H0, I would highly recommend the QSI Titan decoders. I fell in love with QSI when I bought a Walthers/LifeLike N scale Mallet with a QSI Revolution decoder factory installed.  By far, this was the best I have seen up to that point.  IMO, those are much better (both motor control, and steam sound effects realism) than the Tsunamis.  QSI Revolution is discontinued - replaced by the Titan.

I  bought an ESU sound decoder for my Aero Train model (N scale) couple of years ago, but I haven't had the time to install it yet.  I've heard good things about ESU decoders.

Another alternative might be Zimo.  I have a Fleischmann N scale stem loco with factory-installed Zimo.  It is a European prototype. Zimo is another excellent decoder, with great motor control and very realistic steam effects.
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:52 AM »
How big are the QSI Titans? I can't seem to find any dimensions for them. I'm planning on putting the decoder in the locomotive so that it's only two wires running to the tender.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:53:26 PM »
It is very silly of QSI not have the decode dimensions prominently listed on their website (or in the documentation).  Frustrating! :facepalm:

I had to go to Tony's trains to find the dimensions of the Titan U.
http://tonystrains.com/products/qsi_solutions_ho_s_scale.htm

They are 1.77" x 0.66"X 0.26”
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »
How do I measure the stall current of a motor?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »
How do I measure the stall current of a motor?

You apply full voltage (12V) to the motor while holding its armature to prevent it from turning.  Don't do this for more than couple of seconds, as not to overheat the motor.

But to be honest, stalled motor at full throttle is as likely to happen as winning lottery.  But from what I see, most decoders used in our models are undersized (they are not rated for stall current).

A 1 Amp (Motor current rated) decoders are pretty much a norm in N scale models, and in many H0 locos.
. . . 42 . . .