Author Topic: Preparing for transplant surgery  (Read 774 times)

Chris1274

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Preparing for transplant surgery
« on: January 30, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »
I'm planning on my first real kitbashing attempt on a Kato sd70mac and was hoping for some suggestions on how best to go about it. I'd like to take this shell:

and this one:

and end up with this:

(if only kitbashing were as easy as photoshopping). Once I've repainted it I'd like to have something that resembles this:

So what are the best tools for cutting apart a Kato shell and what's the proper method of doing so without the result being a mangled mess?

Thanks,
Chris

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1034
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Preparing for transplant surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
If you don't have a milling machine, the best method is the time-tested old-fashioned way:  X-Acto fine-tooth saw to cut away most of the unwanted material, then finish with small files and fine sandpaper.  Finish the fan housing insert from the donor shell first, then work on the main shell by filing and test-fitting the insert until it fits snugly at all seams.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Preparing for transplant surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:37 PM »
 I'd start by cutting the radiator unit out first with a really fine tooth razor saw.Best way is to find existing body lines to follow,and TAKE YOUR TIME.Start on one side in back,then the other,then go across the top,and follow your side cuts all the way down..The goal is to get it cut out so perfectly that you have little or no cleanup when done.Touch it up with 120 or so sandpaper on a flat surface.I usually use a piece of stick on paper on a 4-5 inch square piece of aluminum or Masonite.Also,don't be concerned about the old shell...
 Try to follow like lines on the other shell,they probably match.Try to leave a little extra,it's easier to fit a piece into a hole by gradually making the hole larger than trying to fit the piece into the hole.Use a razor sharp X-acto,nice sharp square files,and flat sanding sticks to fit it. To glue it in,if it's fitted right,I just put the piece in,and glue it with nothing more than lacquer thinner..Put it in,and just touch it from behind with a paintbrush soaked with thinner..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:45:45 PM by LV LOU »