Author Topic: Possibilities of an N-Scale modelers meet. What is your opinion?  (Read 3115 times)

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
I am very curious about something. I would like to know your opinion and if you would attend an N-Scale modelers meet?

I go to annual RPM meets and they are loads of fun. Although they are open to all scales and modelers, generally they cater to the HO modeler. Af all the meets I have been to, I have only seen two N-Scale displays. The meets are a great place to connect with fellow modelers that we only chat with through forums like this. I have made a number of lasting friendships through these meets. The best on ein the country is the St. Louis RPM meet. It by far has the largest attendance. Lots of modelers come and bring their favorite models to show off and there are a number of presentation clinics on modeling or pototype research or whatever may be useful to the modeler. The RPM meets have gottten pretty big that manufacturers are now attending and a pretty good number of vendors as well. But the meets are not about the vendors or the manufacturers. They are about fellow modelers coming to gether face to face and building a strong modeling community.

So I am curious. Would the N-Scale community like to have something like this. It is not a convention or a train show in the sense of what we have come to know of what a train show is. There are no contests  It is a meet of modelers to share their projects, knowledge and expertise with other modelers.
Brian

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
    • ShastaRails.com
Re: Possibilities of an N-Scale modelers meet. What is your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:46:05 AM »
I've attended the Bay Area Prototype Modellers' meet (called BAPM) twice. It was lots of fun even though it was 95% HO. I would attend it or other RPM type meet if it was within a reasonable distance. Maybe I'll be able to travel more when my boys are older.
http://www.bayareaprototypemodelers.net/

Another aspect of enjoying prototype modelling is having realistic surroundings to view or run the models. At BAPM, a few people bring some very detailed modules and it's great for photo shoots. For N scale, the best modules I've seen adhere to the FreeMo-N standard. I really enjoy seeing realistic models in their scenes.

kornellred

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:55:23 AM »
Although the N Scale segment of the hobby may be large enough in terms of numbers, the limitations of time and distance are the factors which make a national, or even regional all N Scale event unlikely.
The only exception I can think of is the N Scale Weekend, which is held in August of each year in the vicinity of Altoona, PA.  The main reasons for it's success, apart from the organizational capabilities of the handful of N Scale modelers who first hosted the event, are it's proximity to a wealth of prototype railroading and the large number of n scale modelers who reside within a few hundred miles of the event.
The Internet already transcends time and space to a sufficient degree for most modelers to begin with.

casmmr

• Crew
  • It is a Hobby
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »
My club, Central Ohio N-trak after attending the Bedford, PA, N-scale Weekend, decided to host our own Ohio N-scale Weekend.  I believe that this is a great way for N scale modelers to meet and get to know other n scale modelers.  Bedford is in late August, we are the weekend after Mother's Day in May.  Many of the same modelers attend both events.  We have some n scalers from IN attend, once even had some from IL and MO.  about an 8 hour drive is the max for most modelers.  Mike Philiips of Bedford was very helpful when we decided to try ours.  We are now hosting the 6th Ohio N-scale Weekend at the Franklin County Fairgrounds, Hilliard, OH.  This August, Mike is hosting the 10th N-scale Weekend on August 23/24, 2014; visit our web site www.centralohiontrak.org for further information on the Ohio N-scale Weekend.  I would be willing to exchange emails or speak over the phone with you if you decide to try and organize an N-scale Weekend in your location.  Contact me with a private message if you are interested.  Craig

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 01:43:13 PM »
The central Ohio N scale show is a blast! I intended to go to Bedford, which is almost exactly an eight-hour drive from my Ohio home but, after the Milwaukee show and a trip to Alabama, decided it was just too much to go it alone. I'll be at the Ohio show this year, then down to Roanoke (another eight-hour drive) for the national, and will try to make Bedford, all the while fitting in trips to Alabama. I think about 600 miles is my absolute maximum for bringing a large display.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +392
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
Denver is pretty nice!   :ashat:

Ed

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »
I love the idea of it.   8)

In reality, it would have to be a perfect storm for me to attend.   :(   I work a lot, and my PTO/Travel time is usually spent going to see my son in the Chicago/Rockford, IL area from Dallas.   The two "railroady" things I (would) like doing--the FOBNR (BN Historical Society) Convention and the N-scale convention--typically fall on the same weekend or adjacent weekends.  Meaning I have to choose, and so far I've always chosen the FOBNR so I've never actually been to the N-scale convention yet.   And, I typically only make the FOBNR Convention about every 3 years.

I've also wanted to go to many Chicago area events (Naperville RPM, Trainfest in Milwaukee) but so far haven't timed it out right.  I'm now learning about the STL/KC area events and may be able to work them in sometime.   I also have the two N-Scale Weekend events on my radar as well and would love to visit those.   There are also home layouts I want to visit.  Like I said, I love the idea of it...but in practice I have trouble finding time for modeling, and especially for those RPM-style events I don't feel like I have the skins on the wall yet.   I'm not aware of similar events in the Dallas/Fort Worth area...most of the "master" modelers are in the NMRA and everything funnels through those events.   But I've done my stint with the NMRA and it's just not for me.   There are starting to be a lot of fantastic n-scale layouts in the area though, so maybe a N-Scale weekend type event would fly eventually.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +661
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 05:29:12 PM »
I'd love to attend a straight up N Scalers meet. It would be nice to see everyone's work in person and to exchange ideas. How about Vegas?
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
These are tough to get off the ground, but if the timing is right and the location and people a good mix, these events can take on a life of their own and be very successful.  I suggest a location with a major airport and decent road connections so people can get there easily (and inexpensively), some opportunities for train watching, and other activities to help justify the effort and cost. 

As an example, Denver is very attractive to me because:  a) it is relatively fast and easy to get to via air, b) there is great trainwatching in the area, c) great museums and other related opportunities (Hello, Caboose Hobbies!), and c) it is attractive if a spouse or partner (or child) is coming along.  Vegas is kind of the same, while post-industrial cities overrun with crack neighborhoods might not be quite what you are looking for.

In some ways, it is easier to fly somewhere than drive a long way.  Hence, I am more likely to fly to Denver (or Vegas  :trollface:) than slog to Springfield, facing weather, endless driving, and unruly/bored/ :ashat: border guards.

Might just be me, but we've managed to do this with several annual meetings related to work, and they have become too successful.

I'd suggest a Canadian meeting, but I'm not sure what might happen.  I might let a Maple Leafs joke slip and who knows what Puddy might do in person?  :trollface:

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1049
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 06:05:51 PM »
... while post-industrial cities overrun with crack neighborhoods might not be quite what you are looking for. ...

Is this a swipe at St. Louis? :trollface:

I had no idea the St. Louis RPM meet was the big deal it evidently is. It gets mentioned every time it comes up in my MRR circles - after all, it is local - but I just made the usual assumption that it was a small regional group thing. I should make an effort next time it's in town.

To the original idea that we need a similar but separate meet for N scale? IMO, probably not. I think what needs to happen is for the N scalers to make more of a showing at RPM. Let's demonstrate what we can do that is arguably easier for us than in HO: scene ambiance. I have a specific large module in mind that took Best of Show at the UPHS meet a few years back, Buzz Lenander's "Cheyenne 1959" scene. (Also featured in other contests.) It blew everyone's socks off. It's at the top of this old Atlas thread: http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66511.

Anyway, we have some great talent around doing jaw-dropping scene modeling, and it is every bit on the same level of presentation as the fine HO modeling seen at RPM.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +139
    • Modutrak
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:42:38 PM »
Yes, N scale needs a get together focused on modeling. 

The Modutrak N scale layout has become a fixture at the Naperville RPM meet every October outside of Chicago.  The meet is heavily attended by the best HO modelers, and we get good feedback from them on the N scale stuff we bring, but N scaler's as a whole haven't been attending the show.  When the meet was run by Sunshine, I think the N scaler's were actively shunned a bit.  But, the current organizer, Joe D'Elia is focused on welcoming N scalers into the fray.  I had lunch with him midway through the 2013 show and we brainstormed a couple of ideas. 

The 2014 Naperville RPM show will have more of a marketing push toward drawing N scalers.  There will likely be an N scale evening dinner party on Thursday night (similar to the Friends of the Freight Car dinner if you've been to Naperville before).  We've done this informally as a Modutrak N scale dinner in previous years, but are hoping to expand the party.  And we're hoping to gather a little more ballroom space to be able to set up the whole Modutrak layout so we can open up the mainlines for anyone to run their equipment.

I know you've been to Naperville RPM Bryan, how do you feel about getting some more N scale action involved in an established meet like that?
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +163
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »
I'll be bringing some N Scale models to the RPM event in San Bernardino on Saturday 29th March:
http://www.railroadprototypemodelers.com/sbdmeet.htm

I'm looking forward to the event (my first) and spending a few days around the event railfanning around SoCal.

Another a$$hats going to attend?

Gary H - any Tehachapi trips planned around then?
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +539
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »
As cool as it would be I don't see the numbers to make it happen.  There just aren't enough people doing this kind of work in N.  But I can't blame them because the parts aren't there to do it.  Those HO models are gorgeous but they're still mostly just commercial parts, and one's we don't have available.

Another side for me is because of the much larger HO modeling segment, these meets can take on a local or regional flavor.  I can go the St Louis Meet and see lots of cars and locomotives from roads I'm familiar with.  Honestly, I don't get much from seeing an PRR X-3?Q box car unless it's almost totally scratch-built or happens to be a car I know I need from my train lists.  But I can appreciate nearly any attempt for a more prototypical mid-west road.

I do think we could do something here at TRW that's a bit more formal than weekend update and that should include a vote across a couple different categories like 'coolest model still in progress' (followed by 'coolest model STILL in progress') or 'who's the most batshit insane'.

Now all of this can change once RP comes of age in regards to N scale detail.  But as long as we have to scratch and claw for any commercial details, I just don't see it, or more to the point, I doubt I'd participate.

Jason

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +691
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 01:42:11 AM »
I'll be bringing some N Scale models to the RPM event in San Bernardino on Saturday 29th March:
http://www.railroadprototypemodelers.com/sbdmeet.htm

I'm looking forward to the event (my first) and spending a few days around the event railfanning around SoCal.

Another a$$hats going to attend?

Gary H - any Tehachapi trips planned around then?

Well James, if you're coming from Brisbane, I better come from Cucamonga! See you there and
Cajon Pass is just up the road 8)
Regards, Otto K.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 01:50:33 AM »
 :|            I would attend such a meet if it were well organized in in the right location (say my house or train room) "just kidding" seriously though as a retired old fart I have plenty of time to attend if the local was not to far way "Left Coast" , "Denver", "Ogden, Utah" ,Utah State Railroad Museum. Nate Goodman (Nato).