Author Topic: Genesee & Wyoming gets the West End  (Read 573 times)

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Genesee & Wyoming gets the West End
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Rumors have run wild over the past year since CP announced they were looking for a buyer for the west end of the Alco Line. Some speculated they might even turn that portion back to the DM&E. News comes today that G&W will be buying the whole shebang from Tracy, MN to Rapid City, including the Colony Line. The new name will be Rapid City, Pierre, and Eastern.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=64426&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1887624
http://www.cpr.ca/en/news-and-media/news/Pages/CP-to-sell-west-end-of-DME-to-Genesee-Wyoming.aspx

No exact word on what parts of the DME roster might be going along, but this certainly would explain the recent surge in CP, IC&E, and off brand lease stuff in Minnesota. A disproportionate amount of DM&E paint jobs must have already been making their way to the west end.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +280
Re: Genesee & Wyoming gets the West End
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »
Looks like the Wall grain elevator will keep their service.  That's the only industry I "know" on the line, as I've been taking pictures of it every time we go through there since 1983.  It's earlier appearance is the inspiration for one of my elevators, although I don't have nearly enough room to do it justice, even in the 1983 version.  And they've grown a lot in the last 30 years! 

If you're out there, they're next to Wall Drug, and unless it's the middle of harvest season, they're nice people who'll answer any questions they can about the grain elevator and the industry.  Leave the family at the tourist trap and do some research.

Wall Drug is fascinating as well, so you might as well go through it with the family, then leave them to look some more.
N Kalanaga
Be well

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +537
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Genesee & Wyoming gets the West End
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:21:35 AM »
If you're out there, they're next to Wall Drug, and unless it's the middle of harvest season, they're nice people who'll answer any questions they can about the grain elevator and the industry.  Leave the family at the tourist trap and do some research.

A couple good detail scenes there too with the box car and tank car.

Jason