Author Topic: What railroad snuck up on you?  (Read 3867 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
What railroad snuck up on you?
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:15:09 PM »
All of a sudden I have three Milwaukee Road passenger trains plus a freight or two.  I guess I can thank FVM for this tangent in my modeling interest.  One thing that I can't get over is how many paint schemes they had,just nuts. 

So what railroad do you model that snuck up on you.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Jeff AKA St0rm

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
Re: What railroad snuck up on you?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:23:41 PM »
Norfolk and southern. when I started out I modeled CP and BNSF. I picked up a couple Undeced loco at a show and some NS decals and the next thing I know I had custom painted 15 NS loco. So I had to paint more CP loco's because my NS had out counted my CP. SO now I model CP, BNSF and NS.

Theteejmiester

• Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »
Japanese national railways...blame Kato for that and its beautiful little D51's... :D

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
Milwaukee for me too, the LHS had a pair of U23Bs sitting on the shelf for quite a while, finally came up with an excuse to buy them, then FVM announced Milw cabooses, etc.

Milwaukee Road had a significant presence in the Twin Cities, so it was just meant to be, I guess.

Next up, I've been contemplating Rock Island...
I’m not here to argue

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the mighty PRR!
  • Respect: +14
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:46:34 PM »
The Reading Railroad. I want to model Harrisburg, and the Reading served the city besides the Pennsy. Also, the Reading had a interchange at Dauphin. It is a great tangent to get into every once in awhile away from the Standard Railroad of the World.  :scared:
PRRT&HS #8862
Modeling the PRR in N Scale
16mm Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »
I always wanted to model the Lehigh Valley but ended up modeling the Pennsy.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »
Milwaukee for me too, the LHS had a pair of U23Bs sitting on the shelf for quite a while, finally came up with an excuse to buy them, then FVM announced Milw cabooses, etc.

Milwaukee Road had a significant presence in the Twin Cities, so it was just meant to be, I guess.

Next up, I've been contemplating Rock Island...

I really like the Rock, but outside of my Zephyr Rocket I have to show constraint because if I started I would never stop!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
European railroads, especially German,
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1048
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
None. I've been modeling the UP since 1967. The only non-UP in the fleet is for pool power/joint ops, shared trackage or interchanges. And my cutoff is 1975. Keeping disciplined has proven absolutely necessary for long-term solvency.

Wellllll... maybe not entirely true. Some stuff is outside those parameters. Those I refer to as "my wife's trains". :D
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
I guess I'd have to say Union Pacific.   They run trackage rights trains on the BNSF line I model, so not really in that respect.   But before I knew it I have built a UP rock train that runs on a parallel line so I feel compelled to model at least part of this line now.   The line uses a pretty different subset of UP power, too, so that adds a couple of locos I could do without, but oh well.   ;)

I've always modeled MKT as a side note (the same line as the UP rock train one, but in a prior era) but I wouldn't consider that as "snuck up on me" since it was really my primary at one point.

I think *eras* sneak up on me more often.   Keep being tempted by "swoosh BNSF", 1940's FW&D/CB&Q, 80's BN, etc.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »
Every railroad that I don't model for which Kato has released a great Passenger model.  ATSF, PRR, UP, SP and I guess you can include DRGW and WP since I had to buy their power for the CZ.  Plus, anybody who grew up with Lionel eventually has to have some Warbonnet F units...  :D

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +482
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 08:30:53 PM »
Green Bay & Western.  Of course, since my in-laws live in Green Bay, it wasn't exactly sneaky.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 09:53:28 PM »
Guilford. I've always liked the Boston & Maine and consequently didn't particularly care for Guilford's treatment of it. But that orange stripe has grown on me.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »
The North Shore.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 11:06:50 PM »
The Reading, for the same reason as a post above.

Also the B&M, looking at the eastern end of my empire.