Author Topic: Modutrak Searchlight Signals (WAS: Building BeNscale Signals)  (Read 24662 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
Re: Building BeNscale Signals
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2013, 08:47:35 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm all about improvements, and there's a lot of design and etching work I could be doing myself and may in the future... But with a 2-1/2 year old, a 2 month old, and a month to get 12 signals built (and wired into a 20' x 60' modular layout!)... well... here's the fruits of that labor.  The BeNscale parts are available right now and look good on the layout.  And the resistors are what I had on hand. 

Hope this tutorial helped a little.  I'm all about seeing more scale signals in operation.  But having dived into this segment of MR'ing, I understand why more layouts arn't signaled!

spr1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +217
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing the construction. I have bought one to make a Train order signal with but it is still sitting on the workbench. This motivates me to finally build it and get one under my belt. I bought rod to extend the height and a longer etched ladder. The chopped solder is great idea and I have that solder and the safe flux (liquid) from the same supplier. Once I get it done then I will order the rest for the layout but I wanted to build one first and install to see it on the layout. Nice photos as well.
Dave P

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »
I also agree that this was a very well written tutorial with excellent photos.  But members of TRW are famous for injecting their own opinions, or critiquing things they find could be improved. Of all the people, you should know that Mike.  :)  My critique was not of your workmanship (actually you cleverly mounted the resistors), but of the design of the signal itself.

As far as soldering goes, I usually just pick up some solder by simply touching the (clean) tip of the soldering iron to the end of the solder wire.  But I will try the technique you showed here - looks like it is easier to control the amount of solder being picked up.

I'm also curious whether those are 1/8 or 1/4 Watt resistors.
. . . 42 . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
They are 1/4 Watt.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 01:33:10 PM »
Nice work Mike.  Wish I could use them when the time comes.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »
+1
Nominating this thread for a spot under Best of the Wire.

Ed

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
Nominating this thread for a spot under Best of the Wire.

Ed

I second the motion (hoping for more positive karma).  :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »
I third the motion...Lots of excellent information here.

I think that adding photos of the finished signals mounted on the layout would add the final touch to this thread.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
I could probably dig up an installed photo.

Unfortunately BeNscale, like so many other sole proprietor signal companies before, seems to be fading away.  I've been trying to get a big order for about 4 months so that we can get the signals going on the Franksville/Caledonia leg of the layout. 

So... I may be updating this thread with custom etchings once I get a new package from PPD.  Peteski will be happy(-er).  :)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »

So... I may be updating this thread with custom etchings once I get a new package from PPD.  Peteski will be happy(-er).  :)

LOL!  Excellent!  If I haven't mentioned yet, I know where to buy those RYG LEDs.  But you have to do your won soldering.
. . . 42 . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 04:45:22 PM »
LOL!  Excellent!  If I haven't mentioned yet, I know where to buy those RYG LEDs.  But you have to do your won soldering.

I found the RYG ones.  Let me know if you find the same package with Red/Lunar... those I can't find.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »
Peteski...would you care to share the source for the LEDs? There is a +1 Praise in it for you :D

peteski

• Crew
. . . 42 . . .

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »
Thanks for the links Peteski. In your opinion, how accurate are the colors? Do you have any of these wired up? I guess they are cheap enough to be able to use them for a red/green dwarf signal too.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »
Thanks for the links Peteski. In your opinion, how accurate are the colors? Do you have any of these wired up? I guess they are cheap enough to be able to use them for a red/green dwarf signal too.

They make them with two versions of green, 525 nm (good signal green) and 570 nm (yellowish green).  The color is good, but even better with a single layer of blue scotch painters tape over the lens.

This package will mount to the back of a scale searchlight signal target (35" diameter) and look pretty good as the housing for the searchlight mechanism. 

For dwarf signals, it is too big.  I have the same issue and will be using the Showcase Miniatures pot signals with slightly larger fiber optics than stock.  Then I can drive with the same LED below the benchwork, and keep the colors consistent between the searchlights and pots.