Author Topic: Modutrak Searchlight Signals (WAS: Building BeNscale Signals)  (Read 24692 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Building BeNscale Signals
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2014, 12:22:42 AM »
Outstanding!   8) 8) 8)

Ed

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »
Ye of little faith!

These are Milwaukee Road style, so now a match to what we actually need for Modutrak.

Faith or not, I don't know what Milwaukee Rd. used. I thought that most search-light signals would use similar masts and platforms.

This is what I'm used to see on B&M.  Notice how the platforms are shaped. They end behind the mast.

. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2014, 03:30:27 PM »
... I thought that most search-light signals would use similar masts and platforms.

While there were only a couple of manufacturers of SA-type signal housings, accessories such as finials, wiring access, mounts and safety hardware varied considerably between roads. Unfortunately, signals, like a lot of what made "classic" railroading so interesting, were rare photo subjects. Now that all the old stuff is vanishing in the name of corporate and regulatory consistency, we are only now realizing what was lost.

Mike, I'd like to see photos of the MILW prototypes. I don't doubt the configuration, I'm just curious how the extension across the front was mounted to the mast since it was an unusual arrangement.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2040
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
I'm watching this thread closely trying to figure out my own project.

This is the collection at Winslow:  http://www.rrsignals.net/Atsf/Albuquerque/2ndDistrict/WinslowYard/WinslowYard.htm

Note that while they convey the same authority, you have one tricolor dwarf, two unusually tall single searchlight displays, and one has the ladder in the front and the other has the ladder behind.   So it's a custom build, that's OK with me.    They are replacing particularly clunky-looking NJI signals, the last ones left on the entire layout.

I have tricolor LED heads premade from Tomar, and those are working quite well elsewhere on the layout on my signal bridges.   See http://www.randgust.com/5616_winslow_eastb.jpg    It's the parts for the searchlight masts, ladders, etc. I'm searching for.     So what's the next step here?   It looks to me like it's a matter of figuring out who will be selling them to me... ?

For anybody that likes ATSF bridges, cantilevers, and everything else - this is the same guy that did that wonderful article in TRAINS:
http://www.rrsignals.net/Atsf/Albuquerque/2ndDistrict/Lefthanded.htm

And yeah, it's all gone now - at least all the bridges and cantilevers.   Every last bit of it.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:37:44 PM by randgust »

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2014, 01:40:20 PM »
Randy, it looks like they just swung the signal head around on mast that was already there.  Should just need two of the same.

~ Matt

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2040
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
The interesting thing about Winslow is that during my modeled era it was evolving from bidirectional 2-track CTC from Winslow headed west to 2-track D-251 headed east from Winslow that was still left-hand running.  The change-over to get 'anything goes' CTC west to 'left hand only' was right at Winslow yard, so modeling stuff like this is a great part of the fun.   Cantilevers and single-aspect bridges east up to Winslow yard (which had three main line tracks), into bridges with dual signals on both tracks going west.  Searchlights sprinkled around Winslow to try to straighten out the mess in the middle.  I have no idea why the one has the signal head on 'backwards', but that's the legacy, and thought it would be amusing to this crew as well.    I've been trying to build in this policy into my operating plan as well to make it more interesting, now possible with the right signal indications.

I love signals.  Just love them.  Can't imagine life without them modeling a main line.

So,  Mike, are you in deep enough to want to sell parts?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:05:08 PM by randgust »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »

So,  Mike, are you in deep enough to want to sell parts?

Looks like Santa Fe had the extended porches too, from what I can see in the Winslow photo. 

I only did a small run, but could let go of 10 frets if anyone here is interested.  Each fret has parts to do one each of a single, double, and triple mast.  With an extra ladder for a double searchlight at 10' spacing (missing middle head, bracket to pole instead).  Pole is sized for 1mm brass thinwall tube from K&S. 

$8 per Nickel Silver fret, $2 shipping.

Send me a PM if interested.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
Gorgeous work Mike!  One question: how did you roll the hood to get such a nice uniform curve?  When I assembled some Traincat heads a while back, the hoods wanted to flare out on the sides -- maybe the thinner NS is easier to form than .010 brass?

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
HO please!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2014, 10:40:20 PM »
Gorgeous work Mike!  One question: how did you roll the hood to get such a nice uniform curve?  When I assembled some Traincat heads a while back, the hoods wanted to flare out on the sides -- maybe the thinner NS is easier to form than .010 brass?

Thinner stock is definitely easier (this is half etch .008 N/S, so figure .004" thick) but I don't have the nut completely cracked yet...

I'm using a .030" acrylic rod to form the hood.  I press the hood into my finger with the rod to get the initial bend aligned, then I rolled the hood using a combination of my work bench surface and my finger.  This left a flare as you describe, no matter how much pressing... so I then ran my fingernail along the hood to form it to the rod.  This seemed to work well, but was awfully time consuming. 

I'm dreaming of a more mechanical process to roll these into shape. 

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2014, 10:41:15 PM »
HO please!

By the time I'd get around to designing these for H0, you'll be back to N.  So shut up and purchase.  :)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2014, 08:22:06 AM »
Mike, I'd like to see photos of the MILW prototypes. I don't doubt the configuration, I'm just curious how the extension across the front was mounted to the mast since it was an unusual arrangement.

Here's a closeup.  I see a few spots I could tweak the etchings.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »
Here's a closeup.  I see a few spots I could tweak the etchings.

I see (and agree).  :)
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
Thanks, Mike! I was scratching my head about how the front extension attached and remained stable enough to stand on. SAs are designed to be serviced (and aimed, etc.) from the back so you don't have to get to the fronts all that often. The extension must prevent you from having to unclamp the head and twist it around in those rare cases where you need to mess with the visor, or maybe add a Phankill after it's up.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2014, 02:27:30 AM »
By the time I'd get around to designing these for H0, you'll be back to N.  So shut up and purchase.  :)

I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1