Author Topic: B&M crossing shanty Sss  (Read 3413 times)

gary60s

• Crew
  • Charter member of CAMRRA
  • Respect: +74
B&M crossing shanty Sss
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »
Thanks to Dick(absnut) for sending me some plans, I was able to make a sketch set so you can scratch build this nice crossing shanty. I modified it to make it easier to build. Footprint is 1 x 1 1/4 so it is small and will make an ideal trackside structure. Prototype was on the Boston & Maine mainline at Framingham Massachusetts.

It can be done in wood but sketches are based on styrene thicknesses. If you use another material adjust dimensions accordingly. Paint parts before assembly, except where the edges glue to other parts.

The building directions and materials are in the sketches, and to make your build easier you can enlarge them to full size and print them out. Read directions in assembly sketches before cutting out parts as you may want to change some sizes or cut fewer, or additional, openings.
Included sketches are: Overview sketches, Parts templates,  Assembly sketches,  and PDF's.

To print the part templates actual size, use the PDF's. Select best printer quality, set PDF zoom to 100%, and page scaling to "none" or actual size. Check your printed page to see that 3" lines are exactly 3" long. Once you have template printed, you can cut with scissors (leave a 1/8" border) and arrange on your material for maximum sheet usage. Part templates for siding are a mirror image, when needed, so that you can cut walls with siding side down (easier to cut). Be sure siding grooves are oriented correctly. Use rubber cement or Krylon Easy Tack Repositionable Adhesive to glue paper templates to your material and then just cut on lines. No measuring ! Paper comes off easily.

Cut out parts carefully using a SERB and straight edge. The best way to cut out window openings is with a corner punch. It is important to follow assembly sketches IN SEQUENCE or some parts may not fit.

PDF links:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiq2qvy47mtowx0/pcsypt1pdf.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/238zzyldijjpqa3/pcsypt2pdf.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/swb1ghhocd3fodr/pcsypt3pdf.pdf
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:22:23 PM by gary60s »
Gary

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
Re: B&M crossing shanty Sss
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:41:14 AM »
Are you sure about the prototype location? The Boston and Maine mainline didn't go through Framingham. The Boston and Albany mainline did but not the B&M. The other possibility is that if it is B&M could it be Fitchburg?

Sorry for reviving such an old post...

gary60s

• Crew
  • Charter member of CAMRRA
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 10:08:58 AM »
Here is information Dick received from a B&M expert on the crossing shanty...in particular the box mounted on the front.

"My first observation is that the crossing shanty is located in Framingham and that means it is either New Haven or Boston & Albany, not B&M.

The box on the side is likely an outdoor telephone for anyone requiring its use. There's a possibility that emergency flagging lanterns may have also been kept in there. B&M had both such boxes in use at crossings with shanties. The reason for the B&M to have them outside is that the signal department locks were generally used on all tower and shanty doors and train crews did not have access to the inside."

So...it looks like it is in fact Boston & Albany.

Also, please note that I edited original post to include 3 missing sketches.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:22:53 PM by gary60s »
Gary

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:51:58 AM »
Saxonville.

The B&M had a branch from the central mass line (following route 20 through Wayland and Sudbury) down to saxonvile, in north Framingham. There is currently an abandoned lumber yard where an old B&M engine shed used to stand. The reason why the lumber yard is still there is because the area sits on the protected Sudbury river and the land is tainted with coal, oil and lubricant run off.

If it is B&M...

I bet dollars to donuts that's where the signal house sat.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away