Author Topic: Fading Fast - MT Heavyweights  (Read 1140 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

eja

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1527
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +279
Fading Fast - MT Heavyweights
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »
0
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem.

I have a MT 10-1-2 Pullman (Moose Lake) and the gold lettered PULLMAN and Moose Lake have become almost invisible.  The car is less than 6 months old, has seldom been handled and is not exposed to direct sunlight.

If I hadn't done a fair amount of detailing, I would probably be sending it home to Oregon for a replacement !   Looks like I need to find some decals.


eja

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:45:14 PM by eja »

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6187
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Fading Fast - MT Heavyweights
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »
0
Maybe this will help convince them to switch to the proper imitation gold lettering instead of using the pre-a/c goldleaf.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35290
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6650
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Fading Fast - MT Heavyweights
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
0
I have encountered similar problem on several European prototype models which had gold lettering, striping, or builder's plates.   It seems that there is some sort of reaction between the metallic particles and some substance on the surface of the model (probably salt in human sweat left by touching the car, or possibly something in the ambient air) which dissolves (or maybe oxidizes) the metallic particles. All that is left is the clear binder used in that gold paint/ink.  Usually, this is a slow process (takes few years).

I don't know of any way of fixing this. I suspect that if an overspray of clear lacquer (like Dullcote or Glosscote) was to be applied to the car when new, it would have protected the gold paint/ink from deteriorating. But who can predict that this will happen (since not all gold finishes are affected in this way).
. . . 42 . . .

chicken45

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4500
  • Gender: Male
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1014
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Fading Fast - MT Heavyweights
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »
0
Never forget:



The gold leaf is very hard to see.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."