Author Topic: Caboose Industries Power Routing Ground Throws?  (Read 4484 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LV LOU

  • Guest
Caboose Industries Power Routing Ground Throws?
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:33:04 PM »
0
 Anybody using Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws? I have a few coming to try,wondering how well they work.I want to try to not have a "panel" to control my trains,at most,a few block controls mounted right in the benchwork where the blocks are.

Corrected the title, after 8 years... -gfh
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:10:53 PM by GaryHinshaw »

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2168
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2462
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 07:08:39 AM »
0
I used a bunch of them on my last layout and they all worked great (kind of a pain to wire up, though). As for the actual turnouts (Atlas 55), ugh... many problems  :x

Cheers,
-Mark

LV LOU

  • Guest
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »
0
 Thanks Mark! I'm using ME track,so,no problems,LOL!!! How do they,look? Are they the same size as regular Caboose ground throws?

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »
0
Hey Lou, look up Dave V.'s engineering thread.

He used the frog-powering version of the Caboose ground throws and has provided several pictures.

I just use the regular version of ground throw myself, but from the pics Dave provided, it appears the frog-powering version does take up more space, i.e. appears larger.

Where needed I've used the Tam Valley Hex Frog Juicer to power frogs– they're costly but they work great!

I like the thought about not using a control panel (or as little of one as possible).  I've run numerous layouts with control panels and any time you have to take your eye off your train to read a schematic, flip a switch or push a button it takes away from the experience.  Less on the fascia the better.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:57:53 AM by MichaelWinicki »

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12341
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8579
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »
0
Do you mean Caboose Industries ground throws?  Here's the one I used on my last layout: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Caboose-Industries-N-Ground-Throw-Contacts-Sprung-p/cab-224s.htm.  They functioned perfectly with my Atlas Code 55 turnouts.  From the three contacts on the throw, I wired one contact on the throw to one rail, another contact to the opposite rail, and the center contact to the frog.  No more stalling.  The ground throws just don't look so great, because they are obviously oversized to work with 1:1 fingers.  Unfortunately, adding the power routing portion of the throw almost doubles its size.  See?



Ew.  So, on my current layout, I used slide switches, which can be wired in the same manner.  I used Hex Frog Juicers, though, like Michael Winicki does.  Here's a visual comparison.  Certainly, not prototypical in appearance, but much less visual impact.



If you have more questions about the Caboose Industries ground throws, I'll be glad to offer any more assistance that I can.

Hope this helps,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

LV LOU

  • Guest
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »
0

I like the thought about not using a control panel (or as little of one as possible).  I've run numerous layouts with control panels and any time you have to take your eye off your train to read a schematic, flip a switch or push a button it takes away from the experience.  Less on the fascia the better.
That's kinda my thought,too.I like to operate like I'm actually running a train,not playing with a model railroad.Also,I really went out of my way to get every useable inch of benchwork I could out of the room I had,I actually added pieces to the outside of the benchwork as I was building it to get just that last little bit of useable real estate out of it,I don't want to waste space on panels.

LV LOU

  • Guest
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 07:20:39 PM »
0
Do you mean Caboose Industries ground throws?  Here's the one I used on my last layout: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Caboose-Industries-N-Ground-Throw-Contacts-Sprung-p/cab-224s.htm.  They functioned perfectly with my Atlas Code 55 turnouts.  From the three contacts on the throw, I wired one contact on the throw to one rail, another contact to the opposite rail, and the center contact to the frog.  No more stalling.  The ground throws just don't look so great, because they are obviously oversized to work with 1:1 fingers.  Unfortunately, adding the power routing portion of the throw almost doubles its size.  See?



Ew.  So, on my current layout, I used slide switches, which can be wired in the same manner.  I used Hex Frog Juicers, though, like Michael Winicki does.  Here's a visual comparison.  Certainly, not prototypical in appearance, but much less visual impact.



If you have more questions about the Caboose Industries ground throws, I'll be glad to offer any more assistance that I can.

Hope this helps,
DFF
Yep,Caboose Industries.I picked them up already,came in today.I'm already playing with them.Actually Dave,I'm not all that worried about the size.I'm putting all the throws on the edge of the benchwork,and running piano wire linkages to the turnouts through brass tubes under the track so I can use scale throws,and not have to reach over cars,buildings,ETC....

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12341
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8579
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »
0
Lou,

They'll work great in that installation.  Let me know if you need any tips wiring them up.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

LV LOU

  • Guest
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 11:14:03 PM »
0
 Thanks Dave,but I got it covered..I used to design & build  mailing & printing equipment,did the electronics in my head,LOL!!!

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5398
  • Respect: +1973
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 06:50:52 PM »
0
Bump!
It’s been a few years since this thread. Anyone out there with real life experience over time with these? I’m particularly interested in the electrical contact functionality over time as I ponder my options. Do I use the original design and deal with frog polarity in other ways, or go with this version?
Feedback appreciated,
Otto K.,

ristooch

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 45
  • Respect: +19
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
0
Bump!
It’s been a few years since this thread. Anyone out there with real life experience over time with these? I’m particularly interested in the electrical contact functionality over time as I ponder my options. Do I use the original design and deal with frog polarity in other ways, or go with this version?
Feedback appreciated,
Otto K.,
Otto: I used them at one time. I found that the contact functionality sometimes became erratic over time, and while I could "tweak" the assembly to make it work (sporadically in some cases) I wound up scavenging the contact assemblies of some of the spare unused ground throws and replacing them. It's possible that my installation methods weren't the best.

Eventually I decided that I didn't like their looks (plus having to reach into the layout to flip them), so I removed them and started to use either Blue Points, Fast Tracks Bullfrogs, or DPDT slide switches under the layout (I'm either inconsistent or cheap, or both). All activated via knobs on the fascia.
Model on,
Paul Ristuccia

Southern1970

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Respect: +48
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 05:56:20 PM »
0
Hi Otto,
I agree with Paul’s comments.  I used mine to control a peco 3 way in a small switching layout.  Worked great at first but over time it has become a bit erratic (the centre routing sometimes not getting any power).  Was still cheaper than installing a hex juicer, but in the end I guess not as reliable.
Cheers
Allan
Allan

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5398
  • Respect: +1973
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 11:06:38 AM »
0
Thanks, guys. That’s disappointing. I’m about to build a large freight yard and the thought of installing thirty more Tortoise/Switchits pairs leaves me unenthusiastic. I’ve used a handful of slider switches elsewhere, and have had some fail as well in relatively short time.
Feedback appereciated,
Otto

Lemosteam

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6415
  • Gender: Male
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +4858
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 11:44:15 AM »
0
@Cajonpassfan , I assume you are using Atlas code 55?

IF so you might try these:  When you wire to both sides of the switch, you improve failure rate by 100%. Note how I bend all the terminals to the center an use a single wire between each to route to the frog.

https://goo.gl/photos/8wXDWNyJW33TP3S47

Here are the mounts:

http://www.keystonedetails.com/keystone-customs/2016/9/12/30pk-dpdt-switch-mnt-for-n-scale-atlas-c55-turnout

These are the slide switches that fit the Atlas C55 mount5s and turnouts:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k-components/JS202011CQN/401-2001-ND/1640097

John "Lemosteam" LeMerise

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5398
  • Respect: +1973
Re: Red Caboose Power Routing Ground Throws?
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 11:19:19 AM »
0
Thanks John @Lemosteam, a clever setup.  I’ll consider it as an option. Thanks for the links, too; the slide switches are cheap enough (or maybe that’s  a part of the problem I’ve had when using sliders before?).
Regards, Otto