Author Topic: Weekend Update 10/20/13  (Read 9068 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »
0
Brought out my PRR NW2 to stretch its wheels at a small local show so that it's good to go for an upcoming open house in November that I'm on staff for.
iPhone shots.






In at least one of the photos the very light weathering is noticeable on the FVM rib-side.


-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »
0
Quote
Tim, that BCOl car is looking good!!!  Especially so, "Thanks]!" for showing the tapered end's inside... it shows how you did it and I may yet do the same on some modernized heavyweights which would need this detail.

Thank you Jerry - the ends turned out well.  The outer sheets were scored and bent prior to installation so they would fit well while gluing.  I would rcommend doing that if you go this route.


Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12342
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8579
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
0
I built my first batch of Super Trees yesterday.  I've just temporarily installed them, recognizing that I need to model the forest floor before permanently planting the trees.  And, as we all know, they don't go very far, and I estimate that I will need hundreds and hundreds of trees.  The good news is that I have a pile of scraps from this batch that will make great undergrowth.



While waiting for glue to dry, I built an enginehouse for the Aberdeen & Rockfish Ry.  It's not painted yet and only put together in subassemblies.  The doors will pop out, and the roof is removable.  I won't glue it together until painted.  I just need to figure out what color I want to paint it.



Have a great week,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2649
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
0
Finally got my hands on a GHQ NP W-3 kit, and a few more HOn30 freight car kits, needless to say, I'm good on projects for a while.  :D
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

trainforfun

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1905
  • Respect: +98
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »
0
Having finished one of the cars I've had 'semi-completed' for a bit (ATSF 64' semi-lightweight smoothside baggage), I've decided to do the same to all of the cars I have started but not finished BEFORE I start any more of the MANY car builds I have waiting for me.
Here, first are 3 KATO Valley sleepers I'm modifying to 1957 appearance.
I purchased these from Russell and he g=had already removed the 'Pullman' from one of the cars; I removed the 'Santa Fe' from one of the others, and still have one more to do. I'm re-lettering them with letters from the Micro-Scale sheet, which has a more correct sized font. I'm also removing the top-most and lower-most silver stripe as these were gone by my era. I'm also adding a thicker silver stripe seperating the dark and light gray, as these were thicker when repainted back into two-tone gray during my era.I'm also removing most of the skirting, but leaving panels covering certain pieces of equipment a la the prototype.
Here is one sleeper with these mods done, re-lettered to "Blue Valley".



I still need to completely re-arrange the underframe equipment to match the prototype-this will be the biggest challenge of this conversion, but removing the equipment from the KATO underframe seems somewhat easier than doing it on the heavyweight Rivarossi cars that I've done for the heavyweight conversions I've done so far.
Here are the other two in various stages...one with skirts, lettering, and stripes removed-the other waiting...I'd like to have them both done to the first one's appearance by the end of the weekend.



The other cars in the queue are the KATO CB&Q cars that are almost dead-on 'Pine' series sleepers...they need the skirts removed and/or modified...re-lettering, and the underframe equipment re-arranged as well....

I'm modifying this....



into this....



Thanks for looking,
~Bruce

I am curious to know the technique you used to cut the skirt ? I tried and after a scrapped car I quit ...
Thanks ,
Louis



Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
0
More drywall and electrical this weekend. Don't mind the one off color LED bulb, the other half grabbed the wrong box and one was cool white. The lights were temporarily put in, and will be replaced with cans. The aisle lighting is on a separate switch from the layout lighting.



« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:00:12 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »
0
The Beatton River bridge is still moving slowly along.  This week I filled with putty and sanded (several times) the balsa wood piers.  A few light washes of grey and they are starting to look like the cast concrete prototypes.    A few rough spots still need attending to, along with more weathering, but I think the bridge is now far enough along that I can put it aside and get back to other parts of the layout.





Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

arbomambo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1517
  • Respect: +1541
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »
0
Louis,
there was a learning curve for me as well...
I, first, use masking tape to keep my blade from 'wandering'...I apply masking tape along the demarcation line; exposing the area that will be removed (I use Tamiya modellers masking tape, but I'm sure any will do...) I carefully apply it, making sure it is absolutely straight; build up another layer of tape if you feel you need to be more steady.
Then, with a very sharp Xacto blade chucked, I make a very light series of passes along the tape edge; as each pass goes a little deeper, I can apply just a little more pressure, only when I'm certain the first few passes are straight along the edge of the masking tape...
I use many light passes; I don't rush....when I feel I have made it halfway through the plastic, I just bend and snap the piece off. I then clean up the edge by running the Xacto blade along the edge and using succecive grits of sandpaper to complete a smooth edge. The trick is to take your time and use a number of light passes of the blade, instead of trying to 'dig in' right off the bat. I don't have a milling machine so this works for me.
I should also mention that I keep the floor in during this procedure to keep the car side from flexing and allowing the blade to 'wander'...others I know have backed up the car side with pieces of wood cut to fit snugly into the carbody to achieve the rigidity needed during the process.
In fact, the Pine series sleeper I've shown is actually a 'throw away'...I cut too much from the sill, so the car doesn't look 'quite right'...I'll use it to bash another car using brass sides (of course, it will have to be a Budd-built car with the corrugated roof)...the other two Pine series cars came out much better...the initial removal of the skirt is the easier part...cutting and forming the curve is a little more tedious...I do it freehand; starting with too much material and slowly 'whittling' away plastic until I have enough area for the trucks to swivel and the curve looks right...just remove a little at a time and start with 'too much' material.

Hope this helps,
~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/


CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3529
  • Respect: +389
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
0
I got two structures built this afternoon.  Walthers State Line Farm Supply and Al's Victory Service Center.  I am getting closer to getting all my downtown (small town Illinois) structures done and then I can start mapping out final placement on the layout.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

rochsub

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 371
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 07:59:34 PM »
0




I love structures that follow a prototype.  Nice work.

Here's some more backdrop photo fun.





Vince Gortner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
0
Louis,
there was a learning curve for me as well...
I, first, use masking tape to keep my blade from 'wandering'...I apply masking tape along the demarcation line; exposing the area that will be removed (I use Tamiya modellers masking tape, but I'm sure any will do...) I carefully apply it, making sure it is absolutely straight; build up another layer of tape if you feel you need to be more steady.
Then, with a very sharp Xacto blade chucked, I make a very light series of passes along the tape edge; as each pass goes a little deeper, I can apply just a little more pressure, only when I'm certain the first few passes are straight along the edge of the masking tape...
I use many light passes; I don't rush....when I feel I have made it halfway through the plastic, I just bend and snap the piece off. I then clean up the edge by running the Xacto blade along the edge and using succecive grits of sandpaper to complete a smooth edge. The trick is to take your time and use a number of light passes of the blade, instead of trying to 'dig in' right off the bat. I don't have a milling machine so this works for me.
I should also mention that I keep the floor in during this procedure to keep the car side from flexing and allowing the blade to 'wander'...others I know have backed up the car side with pieces of wood cut to fit snugly into the carbody to achieve the rigidity needed during the process.
In fact, the Pine series sleeper I've shown is actually a 'throw away'...I cut too much from the sill, so the car doesn't look 'quite right'...I'll use it to bash another car using brass sides (of course, it will have to be a Budd-built car with the corrugated roof)...the other two Pine series cars came out much better...the initial removal of the skirt is the easier part...cutting and forming the curve is a little more tedious...I do it freehand; starting with too much material and slowly 'whittling' away plastic until I have enough area for the trucks to swivel and the curve looks right...just remove a little at a time and start with 'too much' material.

Hope this helps,
~Bruce


Argh!  :facepalm:  I hate it when the "trick" to doing something very well involves, skill, time, practice, and patience...     

But your locomotives and cars do look amazing.  Very nice work!

bnsf dash 8

  • Posts: 5
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
0
I've been working on some projects for my freelance RR. First is a SD40T-2 (Ford fans may appreciate the number  ;) ) and second is a an IM hopper that I'm painting in a special American themed scheme.





davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12342
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8579
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »
0
Last of the projects that I started this weekend.  I finally got the courage to rip the "wrong" roof off of an ExactRail Southern Waffle Box Car.  On this particular model, it didn't even require a knife.  I got my fingernail under the roof edge at the end, and the roof popped free.  There was no glue holding this box car's roof on.  Yay!  I hope the other four waffle box cars that I have are just as easy.

So, I grabbed one of the replacement roofs that ExactRail gave me at a Timonium show last year, cleaned off the sprue marks, and threw a quick coat of silver paint on it.  I just popped it in to see how it looks (no glue apparently needed) and voila!



Well, the weekend's just about over, but I actually accomplished quite a bit.  I even ballasted the siding to a propane dealer on the layout.  I hope this coming week is just as productive.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35290
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6650
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »
0
More drywall and electrical this weekend. Don't mind the one off color LED bulb, the other half grabbed the wrong box and one was cool white. The lights were temporarily put in, and will be replaced with cans. The aisle lighting is on a separate switch from the layout lighting.


It is really good to see that you're building a comfortable (fully finished) room to house your layout. This little extra work and expense will pay many times over for itself in the long run.
. . . 42 . . .

Blazeman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1306
  • Respect: +65
Re: Weekend Update 10/20/13
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »
0
Chris Boscoe (CSXMtnSub) hosted a small group of us today. Thanks Chris and Ted McLean for the hospitality. Afterward, we all trekked to Bethlehem to see the Keystone & Lehigh Valley that was featured the other month in MR. Better than watching the Eagles struggle.