Author Topic: Best Silver Paint Look: acrylic or enamel?  (Read 1203 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

OldEastRR

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3784
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +516
Best Silver Paint Look: acrylic or enamel?
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »
0
I've shied aay from air-spray painting anything silver about my whole life, but now I'm doing a project of DB fan housing removal from silver E units, so the new panel has to match the smooth finish of the factory paint job. So what is the better paint for this?

Kisatchie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4180
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +63
Re: Best Silver Paint Look: acrylic or enamel?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
0
Scalecoat II solvent-based silver is great.


Hmm... it kills werewolves
too...


Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

ArtinCA

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 246
  • Gender: Male
  • Get over it, they're not going to make that!
  • Respect: +1
Re: Best Silver Paint Look: acrylic or enamel?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »
0
I've painted a couple of water pumps for 1/24th scale firetrucks with Model Master Acryl Silver and it worked well. Very, very little grain look.
Art in Iowa
Modeling in N scale
Go full foobie or go home!!
http://adventuresinmodeling.blogspot.com/

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Best Silver Paint Look: acrylic or enamel?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:07:08 AM »
0
I have also used Testor's MM Acryl silver with good results. I miss Floquil's bright silver. Man that was the best!
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

Frank Amato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1407
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +930
Re: Best Silver Paint Look: acrylic or enamel?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »
0
Tamiya AS-12 is great for natural metal finishes.

  Frank

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35300
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6654
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Best Silver Paint Look: acrylic or enamel?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »
0
I suspect that you will get about a dozen different paints mentioned.  Everybody has their favorites. I'm not sure why you avoided airburshing silver - it is not different than any other paint.  If you can put down an even and wet coat of any paint, you will have no problem with silver (that is how I paint).

To add to the options, I use Accupaint silver paint. Since the TruColor paints are supposed to be just like Accupaint, I would recommend that. But I haven't tried it yet (since I still have plenty of Accupaint silver left).

I have also used Floquil bright and old silver, along with platinum mist. All work well. I have also used Scalecoat II silver, and Testors flat silver (aluminum),  and "chrome" silver. These also work well, but the Chrome Silver never fully dries (remains soft).

Since I also build automotive models, I use all sorts of Alclad II metallic paints. These are also work very well.

How's that for choices?   :D
. . . 42 . . .