Author Topic: Rivarossi Mallet Question  (Read 1236 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Rivarossi Mallet Question
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:00:44 AM »
0
I got an email from a guy looking for some help disassembling his Rivarossi Mallet. Unfortunately, I don't own one anymore so I'm clueless. Can anyone out there answer his question?

"I have a N Scale Con-Cor/Rivarossi 2-8-8-0 Mallet Steam Engine and am trying to replace the front cylinder assembly (the part with the steps and headlight).  There is a plastic plate that has a thin protrusion that keeps the front truck somewhat centered, that is covering the screw that attaches the Cylinder Assembly to the front pilot.  I can’t figure out how to remove the plastic plate that is attached to the front set of drivers, so I can replace the Cylinder Assembly.  It is attached to the driver gear cover plate.   I would appreciate any information you might have."

Thanks,
-Mark
 

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Rivarossi Mallet Question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »
0
Thanks Charley, I'll pass that along.

Cheers,
-Mark

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2651
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1014
Re: Rivarossi Mallet Question
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:04:46 AM »
0
You have to pry it up a little at a time on each side with a screwdriver or like tool. It's a press fit in the gear case cover plate.
Don't try to pry all on one side because you can break the pin that holds it to the frame. It's acetal (Delrin) and pretty tough. Charley.

this is how I did mine.....
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

pwnj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 402
  • Gender: Male
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: Rivarossi Mallet Question
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »
0
Yep, same on the one I'm working on.  Just pry it up and the pilot comes out, then he'll have easy access to the screw.