Author Topic: Intermountain SD 40T-2  (Read 4195 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Intermountain SD 40T-2
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 12:37:25 AM »
0
I have two, they both run pretty good. One tip I mentioned earlier, reinforce the porches.

As far as keeping the shell on, a piece of tape where the dimples on the frame stick out to give a little extra thickness is my solution. Since I have done that, no problems at all.

As far as pulling power, I add two tungsten cubes in the fuel tank. It may take a bit of tape on the frame where the fuel tank clips on to keep the weights from working the tank of over time but it increased the pulling power by more than a few cars.

Beyond that, they are made pretty much like every Atlas loco and run the same so I don't know where all the running issues are coming from. The decoder install is the same as installing a decoder in an Atlas loco. Always solder the motor tabs to the decoder, the same as you should do with the Atlas locos for reliable running.
Tony Hines

jagged ben

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3369
  • Respect: +589
Re: Intermountain SD 40T-2
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 09:51:33 AM »
0
...  Beyond that, they are made pretty much like every Atlas loco and run the same so I don't know where all the running issues are coming from. ...

Probably people mean the coupler issues and or the trucks-bumping-steps issues I mentioned above. 

The Atlas 'six axle hop' issues are also pretty well documented, albeit perhaps a bit overblown.

tracksentinel

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/Tracksentin
  • Respect: +2
Re: Intermountain SD 40T-2
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »
0
I have 2 SD40T-2's, 1 SD45T2 and 1 SD45 from Intermountain.
All but one were purchased at a significant discount because of known problems with the early release of them. Each of these had at least one or more of the problems mention earlier in this thread. One loco in particular would not sit on the track level as the frame halves were misaligned.
I do love a challenge, so these locos (at a discount) were right up my alley.
I fixed the wheel hop issue by using Kato wheelsets and have eeked out decent pulling power and enhanced tracking by adding about 15 grams of weight to the frame and body using lead strips. I have not had a problem with any of these locos having porch flexing.
I do like the detail in these engines and I guess that's the main reason I was willing to put so much time into them to get them to be units I don't hesitate to run on my layout.
Confidence:
The semi-euphoric sensation one experiences just before they realize the reality of the situation.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12343
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8581
Re: Intermountain SD 40T-2
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »
0
Where are y'all finding these IM locos on sale?  I'd consider buying an SD45-2 or two (SBD or SCL), but the eBay retailers are still trying to sell them for ridiculous prices ($90.00 and up!).  No way.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

tracksentinel

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/Tracksentin
  • Respect: +2
Re: Intermountain SD 40T-2
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
0
Model Train Stuff Had them about a year ago on close-out. I got two from them and one from a local modeler who couldn't make it stay on the track.(The one with the torqued frame).
Confidence:
The semi-euphoric sensation one experiences just before they realize the reality of the situation.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12343
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8581
Re: Intermountain SD 40T-2
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »
0
Yeah, and I almost pulled the trigger then.  I'm not really super disappointed that I missed out on that deal, because of the complaints about the SD45-2s.  But, if I come across a pair at the right price that mitigates the extra work to make 'em right, I'm in.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

phil55

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 99
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +13
Re: Intermountain SD 40T-2
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »
0
Some cheap on eBay right now!
Phil

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12343
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8581

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Big Windy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 34
  • Respect: 0
Re: Intermountain SD 40T-2
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »
0
I have three SD45T-2 Cotton Belt new in the box $50.00 each if anyone is interested..... Jerry

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Intermountain SD 40T-2
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
0
I have a Rio Grande SD40T-2 and like it a lot. I have not had any porch flexing issues, but I always run these mid-lashup as run through power. I did add some tape as others have to fix the loose shell issue. Other than that it have not given me any problems.

Do be careful of the handrails. They are super thin. IM will replace any that are broken for free, so its not something super critical.

Oh, avoid the first run SSW and SP. They had MAJOR assembly issues with glue, paint and the infamous baseball cab rivets.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind