Author Topic: Need parts for Kumata loco  (Read 1333 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

u18b

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4053
  • Respect: +2385
    • My website
Need parts for Kumata loco
« on: September 16, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
0
Anybody have a trashed Kumata locomotive-- like maybe dropped on the floor, stepped on, or otherwise ruined?

I need a pair of the distinctive Kumata gearboxes.

I'm hoping to report on a blockbusted project.

I already have two KMT locos (an RS-2 and a Trainmaster) but I'd have to retire one for parts if I don't find other options- and I'd rather not do that.

Any help would be appreciated.


Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Alwyn Cutmore

  • Guest
Re: Need parts for Kumata loco
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:50:08 PM »
0
Ron,

There was a thread on here not long ago where a modeller had written to Kumato in Japan and they had all the spares available. I have an RS3 in the same boat and will be writing to them soon.

Regards

Al

Alwyn Cutmore

  • Guest
Re: Need parts for Kumata loco
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
0
Ron<

http://www.kmt.co.jp/en/contact/

Try that link and see what happens.

Regards

Al

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35300
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6654
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Need parts for Kumata loco
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:17:23 PM »
0
Ron,

There was a thread on here not long ago where a modeller had written to Kumato in Japan and they had all the spares available. I have an RS3 in the same boat and will be writing to them soon.

Regards

Al

Wasn't Ron himself the person who contacted Kumata and got the parts he needed?  :?
. . . 42 . . .

ChristianJDavis1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 570
  • Gender: Male
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +226
Re: Need parts for Kumata loco
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:20:37 PM »
0
Ron,

There was a thread on here not long ago where a modeller had written to Kumato in Japan and they had all the spares available. I have an RS3 in the same boat and will be writing to them soon.

Regards

Al

Al,
The modeler you mentioned is me, and I was fortunate enough to get all of the parts I needed and then some from Kumata when I wrote to them, and they where very friendly and helpful while doing so. I am not sure what they have in stock, if anything anymore, but I would certainly try contacting them anyway (that goes for you, too, Ron). Although, I did hear from a fellow forum member who also asked Kumata for parts not too long after I contacted them that they replied to him stating that they did not any have parts left.
- Christian J. Davis

u18b

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4053
  • Respect: +2385
    • My website
Re: Need parts for Kumata loco
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »
0
Yes, Christian had contacted them.

And I did too. 

I got a few screws, crown gears and only a couple of headless screw truck retainers.

When I asked about more various parts, they said they didn't have any more.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Alwyn Cutmore

  • Guest
Re: Need parts for Kumata loco
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:36:04 PM »
0
I am after he worm gear mount which are two pieces that hold the bearings and screw to the base plate. I can do it two ways, 1. Make a urethane casting of the good one and then send it away and have it cast in brass or 2. Just use the urethane castings.

Regards

Al

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Need parts for Kumata loco
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
0
I don't think urethane is going to work. Those things need to conduct electricity.

-Mark

u18b

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4053
  • Respect: +2385
    • My website
Re: Need parts for Kumata loco
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 06:31:06 PM »
0
Mark is correct.

The gearboxes must be metal since they are electrically "hot" and carry the electricity from the trucks to the motor-- either by jumper wire or by the frame itself.

Even though it is soft, pewter might be a way to go- as far as making castings and copies.

And just for reference sake, not all gearboxes are identical.  I have seen three versions.

The slot for the gear-retaining headless screw is either level with the frame (E units, for example) or it drops down (ALCOs and SD40-2).


Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.